[comp.os.minix] Never ending search for a shell...

kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (03/24/91)

On the never ending search for another shelll....*sigh*

I d/led the sources for CLAM, but can't compile it, as it asks for a file
'header.h'....anyone have this lying around?

Also, can someone explain the differences between Berkely make, and Minix make?
I have sources for another shell called rc. (unshar wouldn't unpack it
properly, I had to sh rc.shar it...8()...)  Anyway, when I 'make' in that
directory, it tells me 'no targets listed on line ###' or some such.  I played
arond with the Makefile, but to no avail....

What is BASH like?  Should I get it?  Does it offer much improvement over the
default bin/sh? (If nothing else, a history mechanism, so I don't have to
retype a 60 character line, due to one mistake in typing.....UGH!)

I got spoiled by 'alias' at work.  Is there any shell for Minix that provides
this?

--

| Ken Corey  aka... kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu                        |
|  "We MUST succeed, otherwise we run the risk of failure...."   |

paradis@acestes.UUCP (Jim Paradis) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar24.121842.45883@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>What is BASH like?

I'd say that it combines the interactive capabilities of tcsh with the
programming capabilities of Bourne shell.  Some would call this the
best of both worlds 8-)

>Should I get it?

Depends... I certainly like it!

>Does it offer much improvement over the default bin/sh?

Depends what you mean by "improvement" 8-)  It has lots more features, but
then again it also takes up lots more memory.  Don't even think of trying
it unless you have a 386 or 68000... I couldn't imagine trying to shoehorn
it into 64K+64K except by removing so many features that it turns back into
good old /bin/sh again 8-)

>(If nothing else, a history mechanism, so I don't have to
>retype a 60 character line, due to one mistake in typing.....UGH!)

BASH is like tcsh in this regard... you can use "!" commands to
recall history events, and you can also use emacs-style commands
to page through the history list and edit the current command line.

I use BASH on my MINIX box at home and csh on my ULTRIX box at work...
I have very little trouble switching from one to the other (which is
more than I can say for switching from csh to sh!).  It's getting to
the point, though, where I like BASH so much I just might port it to
the ULTRIX box 8-)

--
Jim Paradis                  UUCP:  harvard!m2c!jjmhome!acestes!paradis
9 Carlstad St.               AT&T:  (508) 792-3810