[comp.os.minix] Upgrade/Hard disk questions

drp@buhub.bradley.edu (Douglas Pokorny) (03/27/91)

Hi, I have a few questions which I'm hoping someone can answer.
Please answer all/part, for there are quite a few "sub-questions",
post to the net/email as you see fit.

I just recently obtained and installed Minix 1.5, I obtained the package
directly from Prentice Hall so I would assume it is 1.5.1, however I have
not found any bit of documentaion which specifies the ".1".

a)  I've installed Minix upon my 40 megabyte MFM hard disk, however I also
have an 85 megabyte SCSI disk.  I realize that I cannot run Minix in protected
mode with the drive, however I have problems booting when the drive is
installed.  The AT/Universal disks fail if a drive is attached to the
controller (A Seagate ST-02), however the "Demo" disk works fine with it
attached.  My current solution is to have my C&T chipset map the controller's
BIOS out of memory, but it is a long and dragged out process to go through.
It appears that the operating system tries to access it, and then responds
with "NO ROM BASIC -- SYSTEM HALTED" (AMI bios/NEATsx).  I was wondering which
bit of source would contain the code that is mucking up my sytem.

b)  I noticed quite a few diffs laying about to upgrade up to 1.5.6, however
they all start at 1.5.0 -- if I in fact have 1.5.1, how would I procede?
Similarly, where can I find (what diff would it be in) the code which allows
virtual terminals?  Being an OS/9 fan I've grown fat and lazy on virtual
terminals.

c)  Also, there has been quite a bit of talk about the 386-version of Minix.
Is an "official" Prentice Hall release available by FTP, or just the
"experimental" one I've seen on plains.nodak.edu?

d) Lastly, I've seen the package on hub.cs.jmu.edu there is a hard disk
boot package for Minix 1.3, I assume from what I've read in the package that
Minix 1.3 did not officially support hard disks, thus its attempt to make
its own partitions, and partition numbers.  Is there any way to adapt this
package to 1.5?

Thanks you all much,

Douglas Pokorny
(drp@buhub.bradley.edu)

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar26.184926.10867@bradley.bradley.edu>
drp@buhub.bradley.edu (Douglas Pokorny) writes:

>Hi, I have a few questions which I'm hoping someone can answer.
>[...]

>b)  I noticed quite a few diffs laying about to upgrade up to 1.5.6, however
>they all start at 1.5.0 -- if I in fact have 1.5.1, how would I procede?

My understanding is the Prentice Hall shipped as 1.5 what we
know here as 1.5.10, so you would not want to upgrade if
what you have is 1.5 from PH until 1.6 (or whatever the
successor version eventually will be known as) becomes
available here.

If this is not correct, someone please post the facts, as
PH 1.5 is what I have.

>Douglas Pokorny
>(drp@buhub.bradley.edu)

Poor fellow, Peoria is such a blight (my home town for
my first 18 years).

<> The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of
<> ideas. -- Linus Pauling
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson