[comp.os.minix] c68/libc question

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (03/20/91)

Here is a quick question about the libc for c68. I mailed Christoph van Wuellen
about it but he cannot reply due to bitnet gateway problems. (You may have seen
his comp.os.minix posting about his inability to mail me directly).

I have successfully recompiled c68, but cannot link because the lib68k files
have not been compiled and put in the library.

I assume the library where these should have been put is /usr/lib/libc but I am
a little wary of playing about with the library. Do I just compile all the *.s
files in lib68k and "ar r /usr/lib/libc xxx.o" them (resulting in a mixture of
ack and c68 in one library) or do I replace /usr/lib/libc completely? If I am to
replace the entire library, then what goes in and what gets left out?

Sorry if I am being stupid, but it isn't clear from the documentation I've got.

paul@ukpoit.co.uk          Paul Wood, 31 Buttermere Drive, Dronfield Woodhouse,
                           ----------- Sheffield, England, S18 5PX. -----------
--
Paul Wood                  [ e-mail: paul@ukpoit.co.uk or ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul ]
                    [ address: iT, Barker Lane, Chesterfield, England S40 1DY ]

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (03/22/91)

simply go into the lib68k_ack directory,
do

cc -c -DACK *.s
ar rv /usr/lib/libc.a *.o

C.v.W.

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) (03/25/91)

In <1991Mar20.122335.4222@ukpoit.co.uk> paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) writes:

>I assume the library where these should have been put is /usr/lib/libc but I am
>a little wary of playing about with the library. Do I just compile all the *.s
>files in lib68k and "ar r /usr/lib/libc xxx.o" them (resulting in a mixture of
>ack and c68 in one library) or do I replace /usr/lib/libc completely? If I am to
>replace the entire library, then what goes in and what gets left out?

I have made a separate library with only the lib68k files. I specify them
after the standard (ack) libc.a.

This means that i now have 3 different way of linking files with cc:
1) ack
2) c68 with sizeof(int) == sizeof(short)
3) c68 with sizeof(int) == sizeof(long)

Diffs (OK, hacks) for cc.c on request. But an official cc.c version for
c68 >>should<< come from CvW.

Klamer
--
Klamer Schutte
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands

"Ken Corey, CSCI Major..." <KENC@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> (03/26/91)

>Diffs (OK, hacks) for cc.c on request. But an official cc.c version for
>c68 >>should<< come from CvW.
>
>Klamer

CvW, if you get this, PLEASE send diffs to cc.c for c68...and pointers on
rebuilding the libraries.  Will it work with the ack libraries as supplied, or
do I have to recompiles the whole mess?

If not, Klamer, can you drop the c68 cc.c.diffs off here for us net-nicks?
Thanks!

| Ken Corey  aka... kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu                        |
|  "We MUST succeed, otherwise we run the risk of failure...."   |
|                            -Dan Quayle                         |

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (03/28/91)

In article <klamer.669898064@mi.eltn.utwente.nl> klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) writes:
>This means that i now have 3 different way of linking files with cc:
>1) ack
>2) c68 with sizeof(int) == sizeof(short)
>3) c68 with sizeof(int) == sizeof(long)
Sounds a good idea. Thanks for the info.

>Diffs (OK, hacks) for cc.c on request. But an official cc.c version for
>c68 >>should<< come from CvW.
I also have diffs to CvW's cc.c. They allow the -c68 anywhere on the command
line (CvW's cc.c didn't, and sometimes make creates the cc command with -c as
the first option, thus causing problems). I mailed these diffs to CvW, but he
has difficulty mailing his reply back to me because he is on bitnet (some
gateway problem or something), so I hesitate to post them without his go-ahead.