[comp.os.minix] minix for Tandy 2000

lvw@rama.UUCP (Lyndon VanWagner) (03/27/91)

I know that this question probably won't be answered, simply because there
are only a few of us left.  Back in 1985 I was foolish enough to buy
into non-clone hardware, because the machine was functionally superior
to the IBM PC.  I have a Tandy 2000 with 720KB memory, MSDOS 2.11,
640x400 graphics, and non-standard bus (EuroCard format).  Its BIOS and
graphics memory are repositioned, so the OS and applications have access
to 720KB instead of the usual 640KB.

Now my laughable question.  Is there another poor, foolish, but honest
citizen out there who has ported minix to their Tandy 2000?  What tools
are necessary to rewrite the terminal and disk drivers and such?

Lyndon C. VanWagner		Internet:lvw@rama.sc.harris.com
Software Engineer		-or-	rama!lvw@uu.psi.com
Framework Development Group	UUCP:	...!{uupsi,tropix}!rama!lvw
Harris Corporation		PHONE:	(716) 924-9303 ext. 226
Scientific Calculations Division, Fishers, NY 14453
Cornfield's Law (paraphrased):
	Before anything can change, everyone must agree.
	By the time that happens its a different problem.

demarem@clutx.clarkson.edu (Michael J. de Mare,222 Hamlin,,2684041) (03/28/91)

I tried to send this via e-mail, but it failed, so anyone who
does not care about the Tandy 2000 hit n now :-)

lvw@rama.UUCP (Lyndon VanWagner):
> I know that this question probably won't be answered, simply because there
> are only a few of us left.  Back in 1985 I was foolish enough to buy
> into non-clone hardware, because the machine was functionally superior
> to the IBM PC.  I have a Tandy 2000 with 720KB memory, MSDOS 2.11,
> 640x400 graphics, and non-standard bus (EuroCard format).  Its BIOS and
> graphics memory are repositioned, so the OS and applications have access
> to 720KB instead of the usual 640KB.

Yeah, I have one too.  Don't worry, t won't last enough longer to
make it worth porting Minix to it...you ever hear of "planned
obselecnce"?...first the video card goes crazy causing it to
crash about every five minutes...then the hard disk goes..before
you know it you have a very very expensive paper weight.

> Now my laughable question.  Is there another poor, foolish, but honest
> citizen out there who has ported minix to their Tandy 2000?  What tools
> are necessary to rewrite the terminal and disk drivers and such?

Well, I have the Tandy 2000 Technical Reference Manual..and it looks
to me like porting it would be a major job.  All the interupts and
I/O ports are at the wrong addresses...the controllers act in a
nonstandard way...basically, it is not worth the effort.  Also note
that the 2000 is a 186 system, so there is no protected mode, you
aren't really any better running Minix on there then on an ordinary
PC.
> --
> Lyndon C. VanWagner		Internet:lvw@rama.sc.harris.com
> Software Engineer		-or-	rama!lvw@uu.psi.com
> Framework Development Group	UUCP:	...!{uupsi,tropix}!rama!lvw
> Harris Corporation		PHONE:	(716) 924-9303 ext. 226
> Scientific Calculations Division, Fishers, NY 14453
> Cornfield's Law (paraphrased):
> 	Before anything can change, everyone must agree.
> 	By the time that happens its a different problem.

Mike de Mare
Professional Student

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
		-- A. E. Newman

paradis@acestes.UUCP (Jim Paradis) (03/29/91)

In article <10943@rama.UUCP> lvw@rama.UUCP (Lyndon VanWagner) writes:
>Now my laughable question.  Is there another poor, foolish, but honest
>citizen out there who has ported minix to their Tandy 2000?  What tools
>are necessary to rewrite the terminal and disk drivers and such?

Well, I never ported MINIX to the 2000, but I did used to own one.
Basically, after fighting with Radio Shack and with the machine for
several years and having it be a crap shoot as to whether Brand X
software would run on it, I finally gave it up and bought a PClone.
In the process of trying to get stuff to run on it, though, I have
learned a thing or two 8-).

Although it's completely hardware-incompatible with the PeeCee,
it's largely BIOS-compatible.  MINIX already comes with a BIOS
disk driver, so all you really need is to write a BIOS console
driver.  My suggestion would be to find a friend who has a PC-type
machine, de-brain the existing console and keyboard drivers, and
plug in BIOS calls in their place.  Oh yeah; also make sure you
remove the existing re-mapping of the keyboard interrupt vector...

The other possibility would be to find a C compiler that works
on the 2000 and use the recent NYUMINIX postings to run MINIX
under MS-DOS 8-) 8-) 8-)

I used to have a copy of the Tandy 2000 Technical reference manual,
but I can't seem to find it... I don't remember whether I gave it
to some other net.person or tossed it...

--
Jim Paradis                  UUCP:  harvard!m2c!jjmhome!acestes!paradis
9 Carlstad St.               AT&T:  (508) 792-3810