[comp.os.minix] MINIX-386 problem

nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) (12/04/90)

Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: Re: Minix-386 works! (was: Re: Minix-386 HELP!!)
In article <2193@tuvie.UUCP> hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) writes:
>Last week I asked for help with my problems with Minix-386.
>The symptom was that init died before it could do anything.

>   (...good trouble-shooting story deleted for brevity...)

>John Nall wrote in his tutorial:
>
>cc -3 -D_MINIX -D_POSIX_SOURCE init.c -o /etc/system/init
>
>This links with the default startup code crtso.o . Init needs a special
>startup code instead, just like kernel, mm, and fs.
>The correct way to compile init is:
>
>cc -3 -c -D_MINIX -D_POSIX_SOURCE init.c
>ld -3 -i -o /etc/system/init /usr/local/lib/i386/head.o init.o	\
>	/usr/local/lib/i386/libc.a
>
>John, if you are listening, could you change this in your tutorial. I am
>sure others will fall into the same trap (Although not everybody will
>follow you as blindly as I did :-)

I'm listening, and also somewhat embarrassed.  Bruce Evans had pointed out
this error to me once before, and I meant to correct it in the tutorial.
And didn't.  I'll correct it this time for sure.  Thanks.

--
John W. Nall		| Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu  | Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306

bevan@ecr.mu.oz.au (Bevan Anderson) (03/29/91)

Hello all.

I am having a problem with the upgrade to MINIX - 386.

I have followed the tutorial to the letter, but when I boot off my newly
built 5.25dshd disk, this is what happens:

Shoelace starts, builds the image (mm kernel fs init) then the Starting Minix
message appears, then The screen clears, the Memeory available mesage appears,
then the Running in Protected Mode mesage appears, AND THATS IT.

Pressing F1 shows that all the tasks are there, except INIT.
Also nothing is running (I.e pc and sp are not changing)

For the reacord I have a 25 Mhz 386, 4Mb RAM and 64Kb cache.
Minix - 16 bit works fine - no problems.

Thanks in advance,
Bevan Anderson

Bevan Anderson.						Engineering
bevan@ecr.mu.oz.au					Melbourne Uni.

cechew@sol0.cs.monash.edu.au (Earl Chew) (03/30/91)

bevan@ecr.mu.oz.au (Bevan Anderson) writes:

>Hello all.

>Pressing F1 shows that all the tasks are there, except INIT.
>Also nothing is running (I.e pc and sp are not changing)

You might be:

1. missing /bin/sh
2. missing /etc/rc (you might need an empty one)

Less likely:

3. missing /etc/ttys

Ensure that your binaries are 32 bits and not 16 bits.

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655778 FAX: 03 5655146