[comp.os.minix] sc addendum

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (03/19/91)

Hi,

I forgot one thing to say in my post of sc:

This (binary) posting is an experiment on my side.

If there is a lot of interest I could post a few other binaries
which most people can't create by themselves.
For instance I do have several games which use curses. (vcraps,
larn, bandit). I also have python (see comp.sources.unix) running.
(I'm waiting for perl4.0 to come out before trying my teeth on that one).

On the other hand if a lot of people object to my binary postings, then
I'll consider this experiment as failed, and I'll refrain myself from
posting more binaries.

Also I'm very interested in response from people with mac's and amiga's,
in order to hear if my binary also works on their system.

Disclaimer:
Posting the binary of sc by me, does not mean that it will become
a part of the next release of minix/ST.
The posting is from "the hacker Frans Meulenbroeks", not from
"the minix/ST author Frans Meulenbroeks", if you know what I mean.

Happy sc-ing!
--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@prl.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

KENC@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Ken Corey, CSCI Major...) (03/20/91)

>larn, bandit). I also have python (see comp.sources.unix) running.
>(I'm waiting for perl4.0 to come out before trying my teeth on that one).

Frans,  I got your sc spreadsheet, and I'll try it out. Thanks for making this
available.  BTW, when you get Perl up, and ready for Beta, give me a holler, if
you need 'victims'...  I'm gonna need Perl for work, so it'd be good to have it
at home to play with also, eh?

>On the other hand if a lot of people object to my binary postings, then
>I'll consider this experiment as failed, and I'll refrain myself from
>posting more binaries.

They made /dev/null for people like this....;)

>Also I'm very interested in response from people with mac's and amiga's,
>in order to hear if my binary also works on their system.

I'll let you know then...I'm running it on a 4MB Mac Plus, and will be
accelerating (with FP support) in the near future.

| Ken Corey  aka... kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu                        |
|  "We MUST succeed, otherwise we run the risk of failure...."   |
|                            -Dan Quayle                         |

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (03/22/91)

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) wrote:
> This (binary) posting is an experiment on my side.
>
> If there is a lot of interest I could post a few other binaries
> which most people can't create by themselves.
> For instance I do have several games which use curses. (vcraps,
> larn, bandit). I also have python (see comp.sources.unix) running.
> (I'm waiting for perl4.0 to come out before trying my teeth on that one).

In principle, posting binaries can't hurt (comp.os.minix.binaties??).
Many packages _can_ be compiled, albeit on a larger or more complete
system than usual.  So, if MINIX is stable enough, we might start
posting "application level" binaries....

Caveats:

1. Binaries of which the sources are copyrighted must be posted with
   a message indication the Author's OK to post it in this form. If
   the sources are just too large to be posted (remember ELLE ?),
   a note must be present where the sources can be fetched.

2. In the Subject: line, a system indicator should be present.  Contrary
   to discussions and source postings, binary posting _do_ have a limited
   audience.  Any suggestions for standard system indicators anyone?

With the above in mind, I think MINIX _can_ be used as a running base for
"shrinkwrapped" software.  We @ NLMUG are doing something similar: we
distribute packages _with_ ready-to-install binaries, since not all people
want (or even _can_) compile the stuff...

About spreadsheets: any votes for me posting my port of Borland MicroCalc ?

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/26/91)

In article <9103212117@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org> waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) writes:
>In principle, posting binaries can't hurt
Viruses?

>About spreadsheets: any votes for me posting my port of Borland MicroCalc ?
What is the copyright status of this?  Now that the U.S. has signed the Berne
Convention, the absence of a copyright notice does not mean something is
public domain.  If Borland has explicitly put the program into the public
domain, ok.  Otherwise, posting it would violate their copyright.  Don't do
it.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

adrie@philica.ica.philips.nl (Adrie Koolen) (03/28/91)

In article <9476@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>In article <9103212117@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org> waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) writes:
>>In principle, posting binaries can't hurt
>Viruses?

Viruses can easily be created in source distributed programs. Do you check out
all sources you get, before compiling and running them? I don't. I agree that
you CAN check out sources and even remove viruses if they're present, but I
don't agree with the implicit assumption that programs, distributed in source
form can not contain viruses.

Adrie Koolen (adrie@ica.philips.nl)
Philips Innovation Centre Aachen

waltje@minixug.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (03/30/91)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) wrote:
> In article <9103212117@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org> waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) writes:
>>In principle, posting binaries can't hurt
> Viruses?
Yes, that is a possible problem.  However, being "born" on a BBS (I ran a fairly
large BBS myself for about 7 years), I know what the chances are.  On the MINIX
front, I think the chances are minimal.

However, we SHOULD think up a "Release form" that states who wrote a certain
program, who compiled it (and with what/for what) and who sent it to the
archive.  The notice should also contain any copyright/left status, and, if
applicable, the name and such of the (c) holder.

I will post such a Public Release Note shortly, from another machine..

>>About spreadsheets: any votes for me posting my port of Borland MicroCalc ?
> What is the copyright status of this?  Now that the U.S. has signed the Berne
> Convention, the absence of a copyright notice does not mean something is
> public domain.  If Borland has explicitly put the program into the public
> domain, ok.  Otherwise, posting it would violate their copyright.  Don't do
> it.

Borland MicroCalc is (c) Borland, but is freely redistributable for non-
commercial purposes.  I will ask them (again) for a formal word of approval
or disapproval..

Fred.