[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.5

Peter_Van_Epp@cc.sfu.ca (01/01/90)

Since Andy requested earlier reports on what machines 1.5 are up on here is
mine:
Tiawanese turbo XT clone (4.77 / 8mhz) Adaptec 2070A rrl disk  controller
with Priam 60m disk (split by the controller into to logical volumes C: and D:
to DOS), DOS has the first 30m drive and minix has a ~29m first partition
(on /dev/hd6) and  a 2m root partition on /dev/hd7 (Xt_wini.c need hacking
to use the Adaptec controller), 2 360k 5.25 in floppies, 2 megs of EMS ram
which currently consists of a 2 meg ram disk on /dev/ram. The installation
of the EMS board has absorbed most of the weekend (it wasn't as easy as in
1.3 thats for sure!). The kernel went together very easily, about all I had
to do was empty the proto.h files in mm and fs and create an empty one in
kernel and compile the sucker (which in itself took a long time on and 8mhz
8088 even with all the compiler liba and asld in ramdisk. By the way, because
I got tired of waiting while all 2m of mostly empty ram disk loaded (and
because I wanted to be able to load the ram disk from a floppy) I modified
fs to only load the number of blocks that have been actually written on
the root load device (about 460K in my current case) which cuts down the
load time a lot. In summary thanks for a great job Andy (and Bruce and all
the rest of the people out there pitching in!) I am now going to try to move
1.5 over to the PS/2 model 55sx (16mhz 386sx) sitting beside my XT once I
get some problems with booting from a 1.44 meg drive (or more correctly
not breaking my 360k 5.25 when using the new bootblok the 1.44 boots fine!).

nhc@cbnewsj.att.com (n.h.chandler) (11/29/90)

I have Minix 1.5 (PH) running in protected mode
on an AT&T 6300 Plus with 5Mb memory.  It required
writing a Bios extension in assembler to handle
Int 15h, Functions 87h, 88h, and 89h, and modifications
to the kernel

N. Chandler
nhc@cbnewsj.att.com

AJN106@psuvm.psu.edu (03/18/91)

HOW CAN I BREAK SECURITY IN MINIX 1.5?  IT IS FOR A PROJECT I AM DOING AS AN
INDEPENDENT STUDY.  I NEED A WAY TO ACCESS SUPER-USER (ROOT USER) PRIVILEGES
SO A NORMAL USER CAN USE IT.  SEND E-MAIL RESPONSES TO AJN106 PSUVM.  THANKS.

burgess%creek.decnet@hsdp2.brooks.af.mil (CREEK::BURGESS) (03/19/91)

>From:         AJN106%PSUVM.PSU.EDU@VM1.NoDak.EDU
>
>HOW CAN I BREAK SECURITY IN MINIX 1.5?  IT IS FOR A PROJECT I AM DOING AS AN
>INDEPENDENT STUDY.  I NEED A WAY TO ACCESS SUPER-USER (ROOT USER) PRIVILEGES
>SO A NORMAL USER CAN USE IT.  SEND E-MAIL RESPONSES TO AJN106 PSUVM.  THANKS.

There's no need to shout.  We all hear you!

Dave Burgess

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (04/01/91)

I just drove over to Prentice-Hall and bought Minix 1.5 for the ST. Now,
despite the fact that I have been reading this group for several months,
I have a few questions:

1) Is cron broken, or am I just having problems? I keep getting a trap #4
   exception when I try to use it.

2) Is there an up-to-date Gnu kernel for the ST? Minix as distributed is
   soooooo sloooooow compared to MiNT on the same machine (a Mega ST 2).

3) Is there a master list of patch kits and upgrades, so that I don't have
   to clutter the net with stupid questions? I'm especially interested
   in Advanced Minix, if it applies in any way to the ST.

4) In the mean time, how can I improve RS232 handling. It seems to be buffered
   so that I have to wait a few seconds for characters to appear on the
   screen after I type them (I am using a full version of ckermit which I
   have just compiled).

5) Is there anyone willing to hold my hand (electronically speaking,
   of course) and walk me through all of this? I know C, I know Unix
   and I know the ST, so time-consuming idiot-level explanations are
   unnecessary. I also know where to find the Gnu tools, etc., so I
   really need help only with Minix kernel stuff.

/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /