[comp.os.minix] Termcap and Curses

u31b3hs@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Michael Haardt) (04/02/91)

Hello world!

>root@petruz.sublink.ORG (Pietro Caselli) wrote:
>> Who can send me a terminfo entry for Gordon's Irlam virtual console ?
>> I'm porting a curses package to  MINIX and I'd prefere not to write
>> a terminfo entry from scratch ...

You are porting a curses package? You should check ftp.thp.uni-koeln.de,
minix/libraries/portable/curses.tar.Z first.  This library is the result
of debugging and improving the Minix port of pccurses.  It is not
finished, but has all basic functions.  The distance between poor Minix
curses and this version is like the way a mail runs from me to Fred van
Kempen (Netherlands-USA-Germany) :-( .  BTW: I can't reach the above
archive today, hopeful a temporary problem.

Anyway, I want to criticize the posted termcap file:

I do not like that it gets bigger.  If I can reach the archive in
Cologne again, I will create a path named termcap with files in it for
each entry.  People can get needed entries and concatenate them.  Each
terminal entry should be commented.  There is no standard vt100! (I
learned this while writing a entry for my vt101).  A not about the set
of *undescribed* features would be useful.

I wrote a termcap(5) manual describing the exact format of Minix termcap
and all used capabilities.  I can not remember that I ever heard of
g[A-Z].  I guess that they should display block grafic characters.
There are three capabilities: as, ae and, eh, I think ac, and a section
about defining them in my manual.  My curses port uses them for boxes,
which looks very nice.

I wonder about a few other things.  Perhaps I should post my manual
first, then we can discuss it.  The result will be a final manual and
clean termcap entries.

Namaskaar

Michael Haardt (u31b3hs%cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de@unido.bitnet)

PS: I hate the discussion about splitting comp.os.minix.  If automatic
archiving will get easier, what about comp.os.minix.discussion and
comp.os.minix.archived?  If someone posts an article which he wants to
to be archived, he should post it to the auto-archived group.  This name
does not say anything about the contents, which may be complete sources,
patches, important bugs etc.