[comp.os.minix] 50 line screen mode

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (03/30/91)

When I press F1 in minix 1.5 the cursor jumps to the left end of whatever line
it's in and enters 50 line mode. This is useful but there are 2 problems:
a) I have not been able to find how to get back into 25 line mode.
b) Some programs screw up because they think they are still working with a 25
   line screen. So far I have observed 'mined'. This is what happens:
   mined comes in on the top half of the screen because it intends to work with
   25 lines only. Scrolling back and forth in a file larger than 25 lines
   results in downwards-scrolling text spilling over into the lower screen area.
   Repeated scrolling up and down seems to cause confusion because not only is
   there spillover but also the top 25 lines (where mined has its active window)
   show multiple repeated lines. The file being edited is not corrupted, it is
   only the screen output.

So, what should I do to (a) get back into 25 line mode when I want to and (b)
use the 50 line mode reliably.
--
Adam David.  adamd@rhi.hi.is

jac@dobag.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) (04/02/91)

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) writes:

>When I press F1 in minix 1.5 the cursor jumps to the left end of whatever line
>it's in and enters 50 line mode. This is useful but there are 2 problems:
>a) I have not been able to find how to get back into 25 line mode.
>b) Some programs screw up because they think they are still working with a 25
>   line screen. So far I have observed 'mined'. This is what happens:
>   mined comes in on the top half of the screen because it intends to work with
>   25 lines only. Scrolling back and forth in a file larger than 25 lines
>   results in downwards-scrolling text spilling over into the lower screen area.
>   Repeated scrolling up and down seems to cause confusion because not only is
>   there spillover but also the top 25 lines (where mined has its active window)
>   show multiple repeated lines. The file being edited is not corrupted, it is
>   only the screen output.

>So, what should I do to (a) get back into 25 line mode when I want to and (b)
>use the 50 line mode reliably.
>--
>Adam David.  adamd@rhi.hi.is

you can enter the 50 - lines mode by writing ESC [ 0 ~
              the 25 - lines mode by writing ESC [ 1 ~ on the screen.
And I suppose you'll have to change programm-sources to make
them work with 50 lines at the screen.
Joerg Conradt
--
jac@dobag.in-berlin.de    | The number of viewers watching you is
Alias Joerg Conradt       | proportional to the stupidity of your

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) (04/02/91)

In <EFLPC6S@dobag.in-berlin.de> jac@dobag.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) writes:

>you can enter the 50 - lines mode by writing ESC [ 0 ~
>              the 25 - lines mode by writing ESC [ 1 ~ on the screen.
>And I suppose you'll have to change programm-sources to make
>them work with 50 lines at the screen.

Most programs like to use 50 lines if you set your termcap entry correct:
the 'li' entry should give 50, not 25.

I have two termcap entries: minix and minixh. minix has 25 lines,
minixh 50.

Klamer
--
Klamer Schutte
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands

bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org (Bert Laverman) (04/03/91)

In article <2987@krafla.rhi.hi.is>, adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) wrote:
> When I press F1 in minix 1.5 the cursor jumps to the left end of whatever line
> it's in and enters 50 line mode.
If you check the generated escape codes, you'll find F1 to generate:
	^[[1~	(ESC leftbracket 1 tilde)
If you check /usr/src/kernel/stvdu.c, you'll find that:
	^[[ l;a;m;r;g;b ~
Is used for several ST specific settings. ^[[1~ happens to switch on
50 line mode (l=1), ^[[0~ will bring you back to 25 lines.

> This is useful but there are 2 problems:
> a) I have not been able to find how to get back into 25 line mode.
Just type at the prompt Ctrl-[ (or press Esc), '[', '0', '~'. The
cursor will hop to the left marging and be big again. Don't forget to
erase these characters from your buffer. (Just press Return and ignore the
error)

> b) Some programs screw up because they think they are still working with a 25
>    line screen. So far I have observed 'mined'. This is what happens:
>    mined comes in on the top half of the screen because it intends to work with
>    25 lines only. Scrolling back and forth in a file larger than 25 lines
>    results in downwards-scrolling text spilling over into the lower screen area.
>    Repeated scrolling up and down seems to cause confusion because not only is
>    there spillover but also the top 25 lines (where mined has its active window)
>    show multiple repeated lines. The file being edited is not corrupted, it is
>    only the screen output.
You can make a termcap entry for this, or take the vga50 entry Fred posted
just a short while ago. I tried it, and it works like a cinch for elvis.
Mg also accepts it, as well as elle. Mined however has the 25-lines
hacked in, and is therefore not willing to change it's mind.

Greetings, Bert

    Bert Laverman		email: bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org
    Molukkenstraat 148		work:  laverman@cs.rug.nl
    9715 NZ  Groningen
    The Netherlands		tel.:  +31 50 - 733587

   From "How to catch a lion in the desert":
      The Peano method:
	In the usual way construct a curve containing every point
	in the desert. It has been proven that such a curve can
	be traversed in arbitrarily short time. Now we traverse
	the curve, carrying a spear, in a time less than what it
	takes the lion to move a distance equal to it's own length.