[comp.os.minix] Nomenclature

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/26/91)

Here is a fragment from the arbitron ratings.  The interesting thing here
(although I have peculiar taste) is that the existence of a newsgroup with the
name a.b apparently does not prohibit one with the name a.b.c.  When the
45 gigabit fiber net is in place, it will be possible to have a group
named alt.sex.pictures.moving without name conflicts.

   1 13606.2     307     35.91  7.1%     7.1%     alt.sex.pictures (5.5)
  18  1624.3    1027      4.29  0.8%    24.7%     alt.sex (2.3)

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

P.S. In case you missed all the symbolism here, what I am driving at is
that if we must have two groups, then comp.os.minix and comp.os.minix.software
would not be forbidden by network rules.

wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu (03/27/91)

Andy Tanenbaum wrote:
> [stuff about the existence of certain alt.* groups]
>
>P.S. In case you missed all the symbolism here, what I am driving at is
>that if we must have two groups, then comp.os.minix and comp.os.minix.software
>would not be forbidden by network rules.

	Although I agree with you, you picked a poor example.  The alt.*
hierarchy admits to few if any rules at all.  It is for most purposes an
anarchy.  A better example might have been comp.ai and its various
subgroups...

				Bill Bogstad

waltje@minixug.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (03/30/91)

In article <9488@star.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) wrote:
> Here is a fragment from the arbitron ratings.  The interesting thing here
> (although I have peculiar taste) is that the existence of a newsgroup with the
> name a.b apparently does not prohibit one with the name a.b.c.  When the
> 45 gigabit fiber net is in place, it will be possible to have a group
> named alt.sex.pictures.moving without name conflicts.
>

>    1 13606.2     307     35.91  7.1%     7.1%     alt.sex.pictures (5.5)
>   18  1624.3    1027      4.29  0.8%    24.7%     alt.sex (2.3)
>
> Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)
>
> P.S. In case you missed all the symbolism here, what I am driving at is
> that if we must have two groups, then comp.os.minix and comp.os.minix.software
> would not be forbidden by network rules.

Right.  So, again, I vote for a "comp.os.minix.software", IF any group for
sources/patches/binaries is to be created.  This name covers it all, eh??

Fred.

OK, the following names for a non-moderated group have been suggested:

	comp.os.minix.sources
	comp.os.minix.code
	comp.os.minix.software

If there is no obvious consensus, the vote will look like this:

	Part 1: should there be a non-moderated sources group as a
	companion to the existing comp.os.minix?

	Part 2: The name of this group should be:

		comp.os.minix.sources
		comp.os.minix.code
		comp.os.minix.software

	Please pick one name, and an alternate if one of the other
	names is acceptable. This alternate will be used to break a
	tie: if the votes look like this:

		.sources	40%
		.code		40%
		.software	20%

	In this case, the alternates from .software will be used to break
	the tie between .sources and .code (this is a simplified version
	of the Single Transferrable Vote system, AKA the Australian System).

I will arrange the ballot to make for convenient voting via "Reply".
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/02/91)

In article <71FA.8@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>	Part 1: should there be a non-moderated sources group as a
>	companion to the existing comp.os.minix?
>
>	Part 2: The name of this group should be:

Is it legal to to vote No on 1 and still vote on 2?  Is this ethical?
I'm going to vote no on the split, but if everyone else wants it, I am
inclined to put my two cents in on the name and vote for comp.os.minix.code
with .software as second choice.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

nall@cs.utk.edu (John Nall) (04/03/91)

In article <9524@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>In article <71FA.8@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>
>>	Part 1: should there be a non-moderated sources group as a
>>	companion to the existing comp.os.minix?
>>
>>	Part 2: The name of this group should be:
>
>Is it legal to to vote No on 1 and still vote on 2?  Is this ethical?
>I'm going to vote no on the split, but if everyone else wants it, I am
>inclined to put my two cents in on the name and vote for comp.os.minix.code
>with .software as second choice.
>

>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

I certainly hope it is both legal and ethical, since that is what I
am going to do.

It is to be interpreted as "I vote against splitting the group into
  pieces, but if I am outvoted and it is split anyway, then I vote
  for the name blah, blah, with second choice bleah, bleah".

John Nall

In article <9524@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
> Is it legal to to vote No on 1 and still vote on 2?  Is this ethical?

Yes, yes, in fact it's encouraged. Past multi-phase votes have foundered
on this very point (and I have been among the people flaming them).
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com