[comp.os.minix] splitting comp.os.minix

wkt@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey) (09/17/90)

In article <7572@star.cs.vu.nl>, Andy Tanenbaum writes:
>If and when we split, I'm inclined to have one group:
> comp.os.minix.sources
>for new programs, patches, diff listings, new releases, etc.

How about:

 comp.os.minix.sources          Minix sources, patches, bug reports.
 comp.os.minix.announce         Announcements on new versions, ftp sites.
 comp.os.minix                  General discussion etc. on Minix.

Postings related to sources, bugs etc, go to the first.
Postings about ftp sites, what they hold, new Minix releases, the Minix
Information & FAQ sheets, go to the second.
All else goes to the third.

Having hardware-specific subgroups is a _bad_ idea, because that will
`disunify' the current 68000/80x86 unified Minix.

However, I'd rather not see any of the subgroups moderated.

X913%DMAFHT1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Martin Sckopke) (04/08/91)

Dear netters,
I've been looking at the discussion about the comp.os.minix splitup for
quite a while now, and I'd like to make a proposal:
What about a new newsgroup named comp.os.minix.split where we could discuss
the split, so comp.os.minix could stick to what it is about:
THE MINIX OS.

                                       ! This space intentionally
       Martin Sckopke (X913@DMAFHT1)   !
                                       !    left blank.