[comp.os.minix] Porting Minix?

dastrout@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (root@next1) (04/02/91)

What is the feasibility of porting Minix to a new platform?  Specifically,
I have an Old Box, (Callan 100) with a 68000 CPU board & 1Mb RAM on a
Multibus.  It runs (ran?) System III unix.  What are the chances of getting
say Atari Minix code to compile?  I realize that I will haev to re-write
the portions that are in assembler, but as I already have a functioning
unix system within which to work, it doesn't seem too daunting.

If I am all wet, plz tell me.  Also, as a side issue, what would the
benefit of replacing my 68000 with a 68010 be?

Thanx,

--
Dave Strout
-> The above ideas are mine only, unless you like them.  Then they represent

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (04/05/91)

It is no problem to port MINIX to another 68K box.
You will have to rewrite the device drivers. The assembly code stuff
needs only pretty slight changes.

The 68010 comes along with a different exception stack format for bus
and address errors - not too compilcated to change this.

C.v.W.

nhc@cbnewsj.att.com (n.h.chandler) (04/06/91)

In article <49856@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) writes:
> It is no problem to port MINIX to another 68K box.
> You will have to rewrite the device drivers. The assembly code stuff
> needs only pretty slight changes.
>
> The 68010 comes along with a different exception stack format for bus
> and address errors - not too compilcated to change this.
>
> C.v.W.

To port MINIX to another 68K box, would one have to purchase a copy of
ST MINIX if one already bought PC MINIX 1.5 (PH)?

Neville Chandler

Christoph van Wuellen <HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> (04/08/91)

If you have only PC MINIX and want to port it to a 68K box, locate a
ST MINIX owner close to you.

If you cannot, you have to buy ST MINIX -- I think only the kernel sources
are affected.
C.v.W.