[comp.os.minix] Problems with "su"

cs342a37@cs.iastate.edu (Class login) (04/06/91)

I have a question about su in Minix 1.5. I upgraded my Minix from 1.3 to 1.5 recently via the network upgrade kit. Since then, all is fine except su. It doesn't seem to let me login as root or anyone else. When I do a su from a user account and try to login as a super user, I can login. But when I run whoami, I get back my original username, not the root or whatever it was suppose to be.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

jac@dobag.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) (04/08/91)

cs342a37@cs.iastate.edu (Class login) writes:

>I have a question about su in Minix 1.5. I upgraded my Minix from 1.3 to 1.5 recently via the network upgrade kit. Since then, all is fine except su. It doesn't seem to let me login as root or anyone else. When I do a su from a user account and try to login as a super user, I can login. But when I run whoami, I get back my original username, not the root or whatever it was suppose to be.
>Can anyone help?
>Thanks

hello-
maybe that's cause the s-bit isn't set!
You have to exec the following lines with logged in as root:
chown root su
chmod 4755 su
This sets the s bit, which makes the user running the programm root!
And you have to be root if you want to set your uid or giu to another.
bye Joerg
--
UUCP: jac@dobag.in-berlin.de  | - The number of viewers watching you is
Alias Joerg Conradt           |   proportional to the stupidity of your

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) (04/08/91)

In <cs342a37.670922484@zippy> cs342a37@cs.iastate.edu (Class login) writes:

>I have a question about su in Minix 1.5. I upgraded my Minix from 1.3 to 1.5
>recently via the network upgrade kit. Since then, all is fine except su.
>It doesn't seem to let me login as root or anyone else. When I do a su from
>a user account and try to login as a super user, I can login. But when I run
>whoami, I get back my original username, not the root or whatever it was
>suppose to be.
>Can anyone help?
>Thanks

Su should be suid root. You can do this by (being root):
chown root su
chmod 4755 su

Klamer

Question for the reader (easy):
How to become root if su does not work?
--
Klamer Schutte
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands