[comp.os.minix] BITNET mail madness & uuencode

vj@cxa.daresbury.ac.uk (Dave Hines) (04/09/91)

Jose Pina Coelho <jpc%pt.UNL.FCT@VM1.NoDak.edu> writes:

> In <9449@plains.NoDak.edu> overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) writes:
>>  Oh, yeah, there is one other possibility: everything could be encapulated in
>>  a nice suit of uuencode armor before it's shiped thru the IBM world...
>
> And don't forget to add an 'M' at the end of each line or the trailing
> spaces will be chewed.

There are a pair of PD uuencode/uudecode compatible utilities by Jean-Paul
Dumas, which address such problems. They add a character table at the start of
the encoded message, so that unique character substutions can be automatically
corrected. Lines are terminated by a (non-blank) sequence character, so that
lines will not end with trailing spaces, and missing lines can be detected.
uudecode can process these files, though the extra error checking is lost. uud
can also decode uuencoded files, and will treat short lines in the body of the
message as though they were full length lines, with trailing spaces.

The programmes can also split up large files into multiple sections for
posting, and extract multiple sections from messages at the other end

I have not tried these programmes on Minix, but they work OK on UNIX where I
receive my mail, and on the Atari ST under TOS, which is the source of the
copies I have. If anyone is interested, let me know.

	Dave Hines.

JANET:       D.Hines@uk.ac.daresbury
EARN/BITNET: D.Hines%daresbury.ac.uk@UKACRL
UUCP:        D.Hines%daresbury.ac.uk@ukc.uucp