[comp.os.minix] man pages

TEMARI%ECAMV1.dnet.ge.com@vm1.nodak.edu (11/06/90)

I have seen a lot of messages regarding the man pages.  They were not
on the PH disks, but I got mine from plains.nodak.edu in the
/pub/Minix/updates/pc1.5 directory.  The files are:
man.00.Z man.01.Z man.02.Z man.03.Z man.04.Z man.05.Z
I also got the doc files:
doc.00.Z doc.01.Z doc.02.Z doc.03.Z

They are a little out of date, does anyone have newer versions???

Michael Temari                            temari@ecamv1.dnet.ge.com

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (02/14/91)

Peter Holzer suggests, in a reply to an earlier posting of mine, that
the formatted man pages be kept on line with the unformatted.  The
problems with this are firstly that in fact, the extra space *is*
significant; my Minix partition is 20MB and I suspect a good few
users also run DOS and Minix, and are similarly limited for space.

Secondly, a short on-screen message (which is what the current
so-called man pages produce) is a different animal to the fuller
description of the standard Unix man page.  There probably ought
to be two sorts of "man page" for Minix; a standard Unix man page,
fully formatted, and a short "help page" similar to the current
man page, using the help command of Minix 1.3 and earlier.  Or is
this just elaboration for the sake of it?

In fact, I've never been satisfied with the output of the Minix
formatters, and I'm not sure if it is something in the macro
libraries or in the programs themselves.  The screen output has
usually been off in one way or another.  Since a file, once
written for nroff, is very hard to de-nroff, I chose to stick to
straight ASCII and gain in size and speed.  Probably the time has
come to change this, and go to nroff and standard man pages.  The
286/386/68K boxes should have no problems, anyway.

Good luck - Will
"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr
ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

cs342a37@cs.iastate.edu (Class login) (04/07/91)

I cannot get man to run on user other than the root. On other users, I keep getting "unknown terminal". Can some one th tell me how to fix that?
thanks

dgilbert@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca (04/08/91)

Check file permissions???

Dave.

scholes@spot.Colorado.EDU (SCHOLES MARTIN LEE) (04/09/91)

  Speaking of man pages, my 1.5 distribution came with NONE.  Any ideas
where I could get some?  I got some incomplete ones off of plains, but
am still looking for a comprehensive set.        Thanx, Marty

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) (04/09/91)

In <cs342a37.670996809@zippy> cs342a37@cs.iastate.edu (Class login) writes:

>I cannot get man to run on user other than the root. On other users, I keep getting "unknown terminal". Can some one th tell me how to fix that?
>thanks

Sounds like an unreadable /etc/termcap file to me.
Or is root the only user who has TERM set & exported? Check your user
.profile's!

Klamer
--
Klamer Schutte
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands

kevin@nuchat.sccsi.com (Kevin Brown) (04/10/91)

In article <klamer.671201397@mi.eltn.utwente.nl> klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) writes:
>In <cs342a37.670996809@zippy> cs342a37@cs.iastate.edu (Class login) writes:
>
>>I cannot get man to run on user other than the root. On other users, I keep getting "unknown terminal". Can some one th tell me how to fix that?
>>thanks
>
>Sounds like an unreadable /etc/termcap file to me.
>Or is root the only user who has TERM set & exported? Check your user
>.profile's!

The shell, when starting up, looks for a file called /etc/profile, and if it
is found, executes it.  This is done before it looks for the home .profile
and executes that (but the code does it in reverse order from that, by
"pushing" the file onto a stack or something.  The shell has GOT to be the
least documented source code supplied with Minix.  Anyone got a fully-
documented version?).  In any case, if you want a system-wide default
TERM type, you can set it in /etc/profile.  Then any user who wants something
different can put it in their .profile.

>Klamer
>--
>Klamer Schutte
>Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands
>klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl	{backbone}!mcsun!mi.eltn.utwente.nl!klamer

--
Kevin Brown						Disclaimer: huh?
kevin@nuchat.sccsi.com					csci31f7@cl.uh.edu

Minix -- the Unix[tm] of the 90's.  System V -- the Multics of the 90's.  :-)