[comp.os.minix] Cross-compiling Minix

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (04/12/91)

Bill Saunders (Bill.Saunders@bbs.acs.unc.edu) writes:

>        Our OS instructor has a copy of 1.5 that he is letting us try
>out(dont worry only his students can get it).  The problem is that he
>put it on the vax.  How would I go about compiling Minix from DOS.
>The files bootblok.s and such are not accepted by MASM.  Any hints for
>getting it running?

Kits are available to compile Minix (generally 1.3) with Turbo C (I'm
sure) and MSDOS (I think) on various archives.  For names, see the
monthly Minix info posting.  The book (OS D & I) deals with the
technical aspects of cross-compiling, since that was how Minix was
originally brought up.

>        Would anyone like to sell their copy of Minix 1.1  As a learning
>experience I would like to get 1.1 and upgrade through Minix 386 this
>summer.  Being a poor college student I cant afford much but would
>really like to get a LEGAL copy of Minix 1.1(or something close).

Try to avoid 1.1; it was very featureful.  1.2 was more stable, but limited,
and 1.3 was pretty effective.  1.5 is good, but getting fat... (these
are all the PC versions.  It's been interesting watching their evolution).

Good luck - Will
"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr