[comp.os.minix] What's wrong with elle?

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (04/01/91)

I'm having two problems with elle as distributed with minix 1.5 for Atari.
My hardware is 1040 ST with standard 1 MB of RAM, 16 MHz CPU with disabled
cache, bottom 2 kB of RAM has access enabled in user mode (to the same physical
memory as the standard supervisor mode system area).

/usr/bin/size reports 56254 bytes of stack space.

The problems:

1) Editing moderately large ascii files is very unstable. Making a few changes
to a 70k file the OS stands a fair chance of locking up, even flipping through
the file without making any changes locks up around half way through.
The only visible response available from the keyboard comes from pressing
CTRL-ALT Function keys, which all have their usual functionality.

2) As soon as a second text window is opened (split screen) it is like typing
to Mars and back. I am aware of the implications of shadowing, but why is that
necessary here? Only one text window is active at any one time.

Should I get a fixed copy of elle or did I ought to get a better editor? It has
to be similar to emacs as I will not consider learning vi. I find split screen
editing very useful.
--
Adam David.  (adamd@rhi.hi.is)

wssaz@chvax.uucp (Schweizer W.) (04/06/91)

In article <2995@krafla.rhi.hi.is> adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) writes:

>Should I get a fixed copy of elle or did I ought to get a better editor? It has
>to be similar to emacs as I will not consider learning vi. I find split screen
>editing very useful.
>--
>Adam David.  (adamd@rhi.hi.is)

I have ported the RAND Screeneditor "E" to MINIX ST.
This is a real screen editor and it works with even more than 2 windows.
I use it on all my UNIX boxes (also minix :->) and have a hard time
when i am on a system without it...

There are still many bugs in it under ST-MINIX, but the worst problem is
its size (memory >> 64k - no chance on <386PC and source ~1.5MB) which
keeps me of posting it.

If there is big interest in it I 'll reconsider...

Walter

grundy@rtf.bt.co.uk (Martin Grundy) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr5.173317.1315@chvax.uucp> wssaz@chvax.UUCP (Schweizer W.) writes:

[stuff deleted]
>I have ported the RAND Screeneditor "E" to MINIX ST.
>This is a real screen editor and it works with even more than 2 windows.
>I use it on all my UNIX boxes (also minix :->) and have a hard time
>when i am on a system without it...
>
>There are still many bugs in it under ST-MINIX, but the worst problem is
>its size (memory >> 64k - no chance on <386PC and source ~1.5MB) which
>keeps me of posting it.
>
>If there is big interest in it I 'll reconsider...
>
>Walter

I have ported version E17 of the RAND editor (grabbed of the net, circa
1986) to Sequent and SCO Unix boxes, and use it all the time.  I tried a
port to MessyDos but gave up for lack of facilities.

Currently, I am upgrading PH1.5 -> Minix-386 (thanks Bruce!) on the Minix
front, and when thats completed, I shall certainly port Rand to it.

What version of the source have you ported, Walter ?

Martin Grundy                     |  email: grundy@rtf.bt.co.uk
British Telecom Customer Systems  |
Hyperion House                    |  phone: +44 273 762102
96-99 Queens Road                 |  fax:   +44 273 722038 or
Brighton BN1 3XF.                 |         +44 273 762071 (netfax)

wssaz@chvax.uucp (Schweizer W.) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr9.080409.27509@rtf.bt.co.uk> grundy@rtf.bt.co.uk (Martin Grundy) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>I have ported version E17 of the RAND editor (grabbed of the net, circa
>1986) to Sequent and SCO Unix boxes, and use it all the time.  I tried a
>port to MessyDos but gave up for lack of facilities.
>
>Currently, I am upgrading PH1.5 -> Minix-386 (thanks Bruce!) on the Minix
>front, and when thats completed, I shall certainly port Rand to it.
>
>What version of the source have you ported, Walter ?

I have version E19 up and running on our SUNs at work
and on my Minix ST.
I think this is the latest version of E available (if not let me know).
When reading the README file i get the impression that there have been
several improvements added from E17 to E19.

So your are also a E fan?

Walter wssaz.chvax.uucp