[comp.os.minix] Redistributing Minix command source

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (04/09/91)

What are the restrictions on the source code to the Minix commands?
Obviously, I cannot redistribute the kernel, but I have noticed that
some of the commands (like ls.c) are _clearly_ marked PD in the
header. I would love to port some of the commands (like cron and sh)
to MiNT, the other OS which I use on my Mega 2. If source code is not
marked either PD or restricted, which should I presume? Minix has made
liberal use of freely available code for its commands, and I would like
to know how much of that it is willing to make freely available to other
OS's. Thanks for any answers, and please redirect all flames to your
locally elected representatives (they probably don't get enough mail
anyway). I won't do anything until I have an official answer, preferably
from ast or someone in the project.

/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (04/12/91)

If I remember correctly, most of the 1.5 commands came over the net
AS A WHOLE.

everyone may pick up these postings and redistribute them, if I am
correct.

C.v.W>

ard2@ctcg.UUCP (Andrew D'Uva) (04/13/91)

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:

>What are the restrictions on the source code to the Minix commands?
>to MiNT, the other OS which I use on my Mega 2. If source code is not
>marked either PD or restricted, which should I presume? Minix has made
>liberal use of freely available code for its commands, and I would like
>to know how much of that it is willing to make freely available to other
>OS's. Thanks for any answers, and please redirect all flames to your

David,

	US copyright law protects all authored works, unless released into the
public domain.  While it is possible to "lose" rights to a copyright, it is
more likely that someone suing you for appropriating their code will win.  In
short... when in doubt, assue that the source is *NOT* freely distributale.

	Thanks,

	Andrew

--
Andrew R. D'Uva				E-Mail: ard2@ctcg.com
Convergent Technologies Consulting Group/ Arlington, Virginia, U.S.A.