[net.unix-wizards] .files

gwyn@Brl@sri-unix (10/22/82)

From:     Doug Gwyn <gwyn@Brl>
Date:     19 Oct 82 12:46:27-EDT (Tue)
If your "ls" shows all files except "." and "..", then fix it;
you have an obsolete "ls".

Making "ls" show files beginning with `.' removes the only way there
currently is to hide files from a routine "ls".  Putting them in a
directory does not solve this problem, unless "ls" normally omits
directories starting with `.' and you use one of these to hold the
files (in which case, what have you gained by the added complexity?).

Directory name "lib" is a definite loser anyway -- I know many people
(including login "usr") who have "lib" directories in their login
directories and who would be greatly inconvenienced by having system
files showing up there!

If you have turned naive users loose in the standard (or C) shell
without having them read the tutorial information (which explains
about .profile and .files in general), then you have made an
administrative mistake comparable to letting them use & to their
heart's content without warning them of the system loading side-effect.

Why not just leave .files as they are, for those of us who don't
like to be bothered with seeing them when we "ls", and fixing your
"ls" if it shows them without the "-a" flag?  That should keep both
sides relatively happy without breaking the way things currently work.