[comp.os.minix] Using a terminal with Macintosh Minix

waters@neon.Stanford.EDU (Jim Waters) (04/07/91)

Has anyone successfully used a terminal with Macintosh Minix?  I have
been able to get a login prompt and to type a username and have it
echoed, but receive no password prompt.

I am running Minix 1.5 as distributed from Prentice Hall, with fixes
from this newsgroup for 68000 machines, the configuration dialog box,
the ps command, and the MacPortable.  I have set the line up in
/etc/ttys as "2j2", and connected a Zenith Z29 running at 2400 baud
with even parity.  In general, I can send output to the line, but have
never successfully received input from it.

Ultimately, I am trying to attach a braille terminal so that a blind
student can work on the Minix project for an operating systems course.
But I thought I'd start out with a regular terminal and move to the
braille terminal once the regular one works.

Jim Waters
waters@cs.stanford.edu

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (04/16/91)

waters@neon.Stanford.EDU (Jim Waters) wrote:
> Ultimately, I am trying to attach a braille terminal so that a blind
> student can work on the Minix project for an operating systems course.
> But I thought I'd start out with a regular terminal and move to the
> braille terminal once the regular one works.

Hmm.. this sounds interesting.  I got a request from the Dutch Institute
for the Blind, about creating "stations at which the people can `read'
news and such"...

Could you please reply to me by e-mail regarding this?  Thanks!

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands