[comp.os.minix] why not exec file with --x ?

jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) (04/03/91)

hello everybody-
using minix causes a lot of troubles, doesn't it?
why is it not possible to start a file like this:
-rwx---x--x    bin    bin       blablabla         ????

In System V Relaise 3.2 it is allowed...
Joerg Conradt    UUCP: jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de     (Germany)

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (04/05/91)

In <10640@unlisys.in-berlin.de> jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) writes:
>why is it not possible to start a file like this:
>-rwx---x--x    bin    bin       blablabla         ????

MM wants to read the executable using the permissions of the user
doing the exec.  Any user except bin would be unable to execute this
file.

>In System V Relaise 3.2 it is allowed...

You should have the source.  Fix it.
--
Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services
helmer@sdnet.bitnet, dsuvax!ghelmer@wunoc.wustl.edu, wupost!dsuvax!ghelmer

waltje@minixug.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (04/06/91)

jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) wrote:
> hello everybody-
> using minix causes a lot of troubles, doesn't it?
> why is it not possible to start a file like this:
> -rwx---x--x    bin    bin       blablabla         ????
>
> In System V Relaise 3.2 it is allowed...

... and so it should be.  This is one of the famous system bugs of
the MINIX operating system, for which at least three people announ-
ced decent fixes.  The accompanying bug is, that group execute
permission does not work.  So, if you have:

-rwsr-s--- uucp   uucp   /usr/lib/uucp/uucico

and if your ID is "some_uucp.uucp", then you cannot execute the
program either.... Hurray!

I fixed both of these; it required three lines of code in MM and five
lines in FS.  That's all..

If people want to, I can post it, although other fixes were also
posted.

Fred.

mitchell@MDI.COM (Bill Mitchell) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.161759.4354@dsuvax.uucp> ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
>In <10640@unlisys.in-berlin.de> jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) writes:
>>why is it not possible to start a file like this:
>>-rwx---x--x    bin    bin       blablabla         ????
>
>MM wants to read the executable using the permissions of the user
>doing the exec.  Any user except bin would be unable to execute this
>file.
>
>>In System V Relaise 3.2 it is allowed...
>
>You should have the source.  Fix it.
>--
>Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services
>helmer@sdnet.bitnet, dsuvax!ghelmer@wunoc.wustl.edu, wupost!dsuvax!ghelmer
>"I'm a cowboy, on a keyboard I ride..."
>                                        -- with apologies to Bon Jovi

I'm sure I've seen at least one set of fixes for this go by on the net.
I never installed them as I can live with the problem and expect that
the next upgrade (using PH 1.5, AKA 1.5.10 as a baseline) will fix
it.

I've seen banter about 1.6.x on the net.  Anybody know if a fix for
this is already in place at that revision level?

Any chance of a thumbnail sketch of planning for the next net upgrade?
When?  What revision level? What changes from 1.5.10?  No commitments,
just a hint about what the current thinking is.

--
mitchell@mdi.com (Bill Mitchell)

peter@pa3ebv.nl.mugnet.org (Peter J. de Vrijer) (04/07/91)

In article <91040521171@minixug.mugnet.org>, waltje@minixug.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) wrote:
> jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) wrote:
>> hello everybody-
>> using minix causes a lot of troubles, doesn't it?
>> why is it not possible to start a file like this:
>> -rwx---x--x    bin    bin       blablabla         ????

[some lines deleted]

> I fixed both of these; it required three lines of code in MM and five
> lines in FS.  That's all..
>
> If people want to, I can post it, although other fixes were also
> posted.
Please do! I don't have the fixes.

Regards from Peter

Peter J. de Vrijer           |  UUCP: peter@pa3ebv.nl.mugnet.org
Tel: +31 38 660735           |  packet radio: peter@pa3ebv.ampr.org
Ministerlaan 9               |
8014 PL Zwolle               |  "And yet I'm happy,
The Netherlands              |   I can't figure it out."     Snoopy

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (04/16/91)

peter@pa3ebv.nl.mugnet.org (Peter J. de Vrijer) wrote:
> In article <91040521171@minixug.mugnet.org>, waltje@minixug.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) wrote:
>> jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) wrote:
>>> hello everybody-
>>> using minix causes a lot of troubles, doesn't it?
>>> why is it not possible to start a file like this:
>>> -rwx---x--x    bin    bin       blablabla         ????
>
> [some lines deleted]
>
>> I fixed both of these; it required three lines of code in MM and five
>> lines in FS.  That's all..
>>
>> If people want to, I can post it, although other fixes were also
>> posted.
> Please do! I don't have the fixes.

Yes you do.... you just got the new kernel :-)

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands