[comp.os.minix] Is anyone using Minix with a Seagate ST-02 controller?

dhinds@elaine17.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (04/13/91)

What is the status of Minix support of SCSI hard drives on PC-compatibles?
Does anyone have Minix working with the ST02 controller?  I have a Seagate
ST296N hard drive, and I'm thinking about acquiring Minix, but won't if
the two can't be made to cooperate.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@cb-iris.stanford.edu

kevin@nuchat.sccsi.com (Kevin Brown) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr13.043942.15309@leland.Stanford.EDU> dhinds@elaine17.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) writes:
>What is the status of Minix support of SCSI hard drives on PC-compatibles?
>Does anyone have Minix working with the ST02 controller?  I have a Seagate
>ST296N hard drive, and I'm thinking about acquiring Minix, but won't if
>the two can't be made to cooperate.

I am currently running Minix-386 with Magnus Doell's ST-02 SCSI driver.  His
driver does buffering, so it's reasonably fast (up to 500K/sec or so on my
system).  If there's interest, I'll post it to the net (if Magnus has no
objections, of course :-).

--
Kevin Brown						Disclaimer: huh?
kevin@nuchat.sccsi.com					csci31f7@cl.uh.edu

Minix -- the Unix[tm] of the 90's.  System V -- the Multics of the 90's.  :-)

drp@buhub.bradley.edu (Douglas Pokorny) (04/13/91)

kevin@nuchat.sccsi.com (Kevin Brown) writes:

>I am currently running Minix-386 with Magnus Doell's ST-02 SCSI driver.  His
>driver does buffering, so it's reasonably fast (up to 500K/sec or so on my
>system).  If there's interest, I'll post it to the net (if Magnus has no
>objections, of course :-).

Please post! There are quite a few of us out here who use scsi drives with
the "poor man's" ST-02.  (It may not have a Megabyte/sec xfer rate, but
its faster than a 1:1 MFM drive!)

-Douglas Pokorny
(drp@buhub.bradley.edu)

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (04/16/91)

dhinds@elaine17.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) wrote:
> What is the status of Minix support of SCSI hard drives on PC-compatibles?
> Does anyone have Minix working with the ST02 controller?  I have a Seagate
> ST296N hard drive, and I'm thinking about acquiring Minix, but won't if
> the two can't be made to cooperate.
>
>  -David Hinds
>   dhinds@cb-iris.stanford.edu

I am testing and co-working on Magnus Doell's SCSI driver for the
Seagate ST-01 and ST-02 host adaptors.  They work fine, but we
(ehh... I) were not yet satisfied with performance and package
design..  However, the driver DOES exist.

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands

kevin@nuchat.sccsi.com (Kevin Brown) wrote:
> I am currently running Minix-386 with Magnus Doell's ST-02 SCSI driver.  His
> driver does buffering, so it's reasonably fast (up to 500K/sec or so on my
> system).  If there's interest, I'll post it to the net (if Magnus has no
> objections, of course :-).
>
>> -David Hinds
>>  dhinds@cb-iris.stanford.edu

As the co-worker on the driver, I would like you NOT to post the driver.
We (Magnus and I) are in the middle of a rewrite, so posting would be
a bother ...

Thanks.

Fred.
--

MDOELL%DOSUNI1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Magnus Doell) (04/17/91)

On Sat, 13 Apr 91 16:12:24 GMT Douglas Pokorny said:
>kevin@nuchat.sccsi.com (Kevin Brown) writes:
>
>>I am currently running Minix-386 with Magnus Doell's ST-02 SCSI driver.  His
>>driver does buffering, so it's reasonably fast (up to 500K/sec or so on my

To make it clear: My driver doen't do buffering. It just handles the
scattered io in a better way than do_vrdwt in misc.c does.

>>system).  If there's interest, I'll post it to the net (if Magnus has no
>>objections, of course :-).

Kevin, feel free to post the old version. My next version will come in 2-4
weeks if nothing disastres happens.

>Please post! There are quite a few of us out here who use scsi drives with
>the "poor man's" ST-02.  (It may not have a Megabyte/sec xfer rate, but
>its faster than a 1:1 MFM drive!)

Douglas, the ST-0x is better than you guess. I have got about 1M/s with my
driver and a friends hd (a good and great one) on raw device (without the
FS). But with FS this will slow down to about 500k/s.

MaD