[comp.os.minix] New User Questions about Minix

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (04/14/91)

OK, here goes.  Note I do not have the manuals, etc. as this copy is an
educational one!

1) is cc on the Mac limited to 16 bit ints?  I tried modifying compress
so that it could handle 16 bit compression, and it blew out on several
# defines with an overflow; it should not have done this if long int
is > 16 bits.

2) is there a way to do an alias in the .profile or .login files?  I want
to set ls to be ls -FC by default.

3) is there documentation on the .ellepro rules?  The 'delete' key on my
Mac SE seems to be a backspace when in elle and I want to change it to
backspace + delete.

4) where are the docs (online) for the shell, etc?  I have been trying to
figure out the Minix sh equiv of !! in the csh (repeat last command.)

	Thanks for any help.  Also interested in buying a copy of 'the
book' by Tanenbaum if anybody is selling.

				JT

bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org (Bert Laverman) (04/17/91)

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) wrote:
> OK, here goes.  Note I do not have the manuals, etc. as this copy is an
> educational one!
This was allowed for the versions up to 1.3, but I believe PH doesn't
mention this possibility any more. Not that anyone is likely to complain
about it, but you don't need to be so blatantly loud! ;-)

> 1) is cc on the Mac limited to 16 bit ints?  I tried modifying compress
> so that it could handle 16 bit compression, and it blew out on several
> # defines with an overflow; it should not have done this if long int
> is > 16 bits.
Nope. 32-bit int are available as 'long'.

> 2) is there a way to do an alias in the .profile or .login files?  I want
> to set ls to be ls -FC by default.
Nope. See point 4.

> 3) is there documentation on the .ellepro rules?  The 'delete' key on my
> Mac SE seems to be a backspace when in elle and I want to change it to
> backspace + delete.
In the elle docs. If not with the package, then from some ftp archive.

> 4) where are the docs (online) for the shell, etc?  I have been trying to
> figure out the Minix sh equiv of !! in the csh (repeat last command.)
Online manuals can be ftped from many archive sites. e.g. plains.
About the shell: the reason it's called sh, and not csh, is because it
isn't csh! (smart eh? ;-)) SO: NO ALIAS, NO HISTORY, etc...
Check your university's unix system's manuals on sh.

>	Thanks for any help.  Also interested in buying a copy of 'the
> book' by Tanenbaum if anybody is selling.
**SHAME ON YOU!!! If you really followed that course - thanks to which
you could make an educational copy, if that's what it really is - 'the
book' would have been a prerequisite!

Bert.

    Bert Laverman		email: bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org
    Molukkenstraat 148		work:  laverman@cs.rug.nl
    9715 NZ  Groningen
    The Netherlands		tel.:  +31 50 - 733587

   From "How to catch a lion in the desert":
      The thermodynamics method:
	We construct a semi-permeable membrane which lets everything
	but Lions pass through. This we drag across the desert...