[comp.os.minix] GNU tar diffs

bevan@ecr.mu.oz.au (Bevan Anderson) (04/15/91)

Hello all,

I am trying to implement GNU tar on a Minix 386 box (Using gcc)

Can someone please send me some diffs (if they exist) or
some pointers on how to do this the easy way?

Thanks in advance,

Bevan Anderson.

Bevan Anderson.						Engineering
bevan@ecr.mu.oz.au					Melbourne Uni.

leisner.wbst139@xerox.com (04/16/91)

GNU tar should make using gcc (just type make).

Never did, just a hunch.

GNU tar makes with some patches on ms/dos (at least for me...)

marty
(Knowledge is useful in the Information Age)
(Software is mindstuff.  It is the hardest activity created by man)
ARPA:	leisner.wbst139@xerox.com
NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:	hplabs!arisia!leisner

paula@atc.boeing.com (Paul Allen) (04/17/91)

In article <50832@nigel.ee.udel.edu> leisner.wbst139@xerox.com writes:

>GNU tar should make using gcc (just type make).
>
>Never did, just a hunch.

I tried it last night with "gcc -DUSG", and there were lots of
problems.  First, sys/sysmacros doesn't exist.  (It's apparently
only needed for major() and minor(), which are trivial.)  Offhand,
I don't remember what the next stumbling block was.  I fiddled
with it for a half hour or so without even getting the first
source file to compile.  It needed more time than I had to spare.
There is a section in the Makefile with comments about Minix, but
I think it dates back to 1.2 or 1.3.

>GNU tar makes with some patches on ms/dos (at least for me...)

Yeah, it works under Minix with some patches, too.  The copy I use was
built with "bcc -3 -DMINIX" and a lot of #ifdef's.  I fixed two or
three bugs before I got it working to the point that I could rely on it
for backups.

Several people have asked, so I'm in the process of getting together
diff's and checking them out.  This will be relative to the tar-1.09
from last October, which is still current as far as I know.

Paul Allen
Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen