[comp.os.minix] IBM demo compatibility with Epson LT

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (04/13/91)

I recently downloaded the IBM PC demo from plains to send to a Cobol
Wizard who wants to learn Minix and build a Cobol compiler for it.
I tried it on my Epson Equity LT.  Zcat'ed through dd to a 720K floppy.
The floppy boots to the first screen, but pressing = to continue results
in Panic, cannot find Winchester partition table.  I have been running
the PH 1.5 release for a couple of months; it boots the XT and AT boot
disks, but the Bios boot disk gives the same result as the demo.  My
friend has a 2 X 720K XT clone (brand unknown) and would like to run the
demo.  I have no indication that Equity LT is not hardware compatible
except that Minix setclock can't find the backup clock (which is not an XT
feature, though my machine has one).  I don't see anything in the manual
for the demo that says that you have to have a hard disk to run the demo.

For reference, the Epson LT runs a NEC V30 which has 80186 instructions.
Anybody have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

--

nall@cs.utk.edu (John Nall) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.185342.4699@news.iastate.edu> vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes:
>I recently downloaded the IBM PC demo from plains to send to a Cobol
>Wizard who wants to learn Minix and build a Cobol compiler for it.

Right.  And don't forget about Ada - we need that too.  And, oh let's
see now, perhaps a good relational database system....

The possibilities boggle the mind, chill the blood, call for a stiff drink,
and make one check the calender to see April what, now?

John Nall

gt0812b@prism.gatech.EDU (John Adair) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr12.185342.4699@news.iastate.edu> vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) writes:
>The floppy boots to the first screen, but pressing = to continue results
>in Panic, cannot find Winchester partition table.  I have been running

I have an IBM PC2 (256k M/B) with 640k, dual floppy, no HD.
I get the same problem.  There is no partition table, because
there is no hard drive.  How hard is it to check the equipment
settings???  Not a very useful demo.  Sure didn't convince
me to shell out over a hundred hard-earned student dollars for
a hack-OS.

John Adair   :  gt0812b%prism@gatech.edu : gt0812b%prism.gatech.edu@gitvm1
uucp:         ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0812b
30812 Georgia Tech Station, Atlanta, GA 30332                  Disclaimer:
   "I didn't do it.  Nobody saw me do it.  You can't prove anything."
 Dad: "You're up awful early."  Jason: "Technically, I'm up awful late."