[comp.os.minix] Trouble building a 1.44m boot disk

steveq@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU (Stephen Quigg) (04/16/91)

 (Sorry about the last posting- it all seemed to end up in the keywords line)

 I've just compiled up the 1.5.10 system using mcc and Turbo-C, and it boots
OK from a 360K floppy. I then tried to build it into a 1.44m floppy, but
the boot hangs. The image on the disk appears to be fragmented!! Can anyone
give me a lead on this?
Oh yes. I'm using Guy Helmer's bootblock which should be OK with 1.44m.

thanks,
Steve Quigg.

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (04/16/91)

In <1991Apr16.033808.26969@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU> steveq@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU (Stephen Quigg) writes:

> I've just compiled up the 1.5.10 system using mcc and Turbo-C, and it boots
>OK from a 360K floppy. I then tried to build it into a 1.44m floppy, but
>the boot hangs. The image on the disk appears to be fragmented!! Can anyone
>give me a lead on this?

It sounds like whatever program you are using to write the boot floppy thinks
it is writing to a 1.2M disk (15 sectors/track, 80 tracks).  If you are
writing the boot disk from under MS-DOS, you need to examine the program
you are using to make it write to the floppy using 18 sectors/track
for a 1.44M disk.

>Oh yes. I'm using Guy Helmer's bootblock which should be OK with 1.44m.

I've received several reports from people using my modified bootblok.
The only problems people are having is when they write a 1.44M disk
without doing through a device special file for the floppy with the
minor device specified as 28.  Look in kernel/floppy.c for information
on the minor device numbers.

--
Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services
helmer@sdnet.bitnet, dsuvax!ghelmer@wunoc.wustl.edu, wupost!dsuvax!ghelmer

dprrhb@inetg1.ARCO.COM (Reginald H. Beardsley) (04/18/91)

  There is a rather subtle problem with Guy Helmer's bootblok.s for the 286 using 1.44MB drives.
(NB I have not tried the 386 version, but it probably has the same problem)

THE PROBLEM IS IN THE MAKEFILE NOT BOOTBLOK!

  make image produces the image file and then copies it to the floppy with the following command:

  cp image /dev/fd0

If you examine the source for floppy.c you will find that 1.44MB is not supported properly.
What you actually get is an 18 sector disk with the executable written only in the first
15 sectors of each track.

So.... you can do one of two things.

1) edit the makefile to read:

   cp image /dev/PS0

2)  make floppies with:

    cp image /dev/PS0

    cp image /dev/ps0

    cp image /dev/at0

    etc. as appropriate for the device you are using

PS:  Guy's bootblok.s will work with /dev/fd0 if you change tracksiz from 18 to 15.

Have fun and thank you Guy!

--
Reginald H. Beardsley
ARCO Information Services