[comp.os.minix] New User Questions about Minix License

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (04/21/91)

bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org (Bert Laverman) writes:
>templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) wrote:
>> OK, here goes.  Note I do not have the manuals, etc. as this copy is an
>> educational one!
>This was allowed for the versions up to 1.3, but I believe PH doesn't
>mention this possibility any more.

According to the license agreement that comes with PH Minix 1.5 for Atari ST,
the legitimate purchaser (in this case the educational body) may:

<quote>
(b) copy the program as follows:
    (i) in the case of universities, colleges and other educational
        institutions, make machine-readable copies of the program without
        limitation for educational use only;
<unquote>

>>	Thanks for any help.  Also interested in buying a copy of 'the
>> book' by Tanenbaum if anybody is selling.
>**SHAME ON YOU!!! If you really followed that course - thanks to which
>you could make an educational copy, if that's what it really is - 'the
>book' would have been a prerequisite!

Well, taking the course is the real prerequisite. Otherwise it would be
possible to buy the book and get a copy of minix disks thrown in afterwards
for next to nothing, even for someone not registered on the course. I'm fairly
certain that it is common and legitimate practice for the minix code to reside
in a directory with access restricted to the course participants. The book is
a useful study aid, as are lecture notes.
It is cheaper to buy a used book than a new one and far better to own a
legitimate copy of the book than a photocopy.

Apologies to all if I sound like obnoxious net.police, it isn't meant to.

--
Adam David.  (adamd@rhi.hi.is)