[comp.os.minix] 2nd Harddisk on ST Minix?

Michael.Joswig@germany.sun.com (Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg) (04/12/91)

Hello Netties!

This question goes to Atari-Minix users:
I got a second Harddisk for my Atari (Very old, very slow). I reserved two
Partitions (each ~16MB) for Minix. Now my Question:
Do I have to change/recompile the kernel etc.(Where?) to use this drive?
(It is installed as DMA 0/lun 1)? Or is there any better way?

Hope someone could help me,
Ciao,
    Michael.

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji) (04/12/91)

The default set up of minix-st 1.50.10#3 looks after two drives in unit 0,
and the first drive in unit 1. Please read the source code for details.

X913%DMAFHT1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Martin Sckopke) (04/18/91)

Hi netters,

I just tried to bring up minix with a second hard disk, too and encountered
lots of problems. Perhaps there's so. out there who could help me.
My first drive is an ATARI SH205, the second one a SQ555, with removable
media.
After installing the second drive (G-DATA SCSI-Controller) I tried to boot
up MINIX ST 1.5 patchlevel 3 which worked fine until then. The only answer
I got was    sig=11 pid=0 ....
Then I tried to boot up ST 1.5 orig from Disk, it worked fine and I even
could access my (first) hard disk. So I took another step:
I tried to boot just that minix from hard-disk: sig=10 pid=0.
After further research I found NR_DRIVES in config.h was set to 3 for the
new (patchlevel 3) kernel.
So perhaps some kind soul out there has encountered similar problems and
found a fix for them.
And it would be nice if someone could explain me how major and minor
device no. have to be set ?
Since I have 2 controllers now, does NR_DRIVES have to be 2 or 4 or
what else ?
Another one: i read something about the hooks for removable media in
the LOG file. Are there just the hooks or is it implemented ?
Thanks in advance for any answers.
                                       ! This space intentionally
       Martin Sckopke (X913@DMAFHT1)   !
                                       !    left blank.

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (04/19/91)

[ this should perhaps be in the FAQ list]
X913%DMAFHT1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Martin Sckopke) writes:
>Hi netters,
>After further research I found NR_DRIVES in config.h was set to 3 for the
>new (patchlevel 3) kernel.
Yes. The standard number should be 1, but my system has three drives,
so I accidently send out the wrong version.
>So perhaps some kind soul out there has encountered similar problems and
>found a fix for them.
Can you use both disks under tos?? Are your device numbers right.
Also there is a fix out on patch 3. Have you tried that?
I think you will need it, but I'm not 100% sure any more.
>And it would be nice if someone could explain me how major and minor
>device no. have to be set ?
See the comment in stwini.c
>Since I have 2 controllers now, does NR_DRIVES have to be 2 or 4 or
>what else ?
No. 3 is fine.
drive 1 = scsi 0 lun 0
drive 2 = scsi 0 lun 1
drive 3 = scsi 1 lun 0
etc.
You are/you should have one drive configured as scsi 0 lun 0
and the other one as scsi 1 lun 0 (if they have their own controllers,
if you have two disks on one controller then they are lun 0 and lun 1).
>Another one: i read something about the hooks for removable media in
>the LOG file. Are there just the hooks or is it implemented ?
It should work. However, I do not have any removable media to test
this on. Your comments are appreciated.
>Thanks in advance for any answers.
No problem.
--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@prl.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

Martin Sckopke <X913%DMAFHT1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> (04/22/91)

Hi all,
During the weekend, I had time to get the Disk up and running - at least
partially. First I discovered, that it was all my mistake: I had modi-
fied config.h to have the root file system on /dev/hd3, but had it on
/dev/hd2 after partitioning and restoring. So Minix couldn't find its
root file system and crashed. I fixed that and went on to try the 2nd
drive. I just mknod'ed minor no. 35 and 36 and everything went fine,
until - until I tried to readall -t /dev/newdisk. Afterwards Minix
didn't recognize any of my HD's. This still is the case:
I can mount and use the SQ555, but I can't use readall or
read from the plain device.
By the way, until now I didn't try to remove any media, while
minix was running, I'm going to test that later.
On Fri, 19 Apr 91 07:26:13 GMT Frans Meulenbroeks said:
>Also there is a fix out on patch 3. Have you tried that?
>I think you will need it, but I'm not 100% sure any more.
Do you mean there is a fix to patchlevel 3 which I need ??