[comp.os.minix] sync

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (03/01/91)

cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au (Earl Chew) writes:

>No. You must sync all file systems before rebooting. I also unmount all file
>systems before sync().

Init does a sync call at the top of its main loop, so logging-out will
clean up everything provided that you wait until disk activity ceases.
An extra sync doesn't hurt, though.

I keep the root file system in RAM (the default), so don't have to unmount
file systems before rebooting.  I assume if I kept the root file system
on the HD, and rebooted without first unmounting additional file systems,
I'd get complaints from mount of the form "device in use"; but I haven't
tried this.

Good luck - Will
"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr
ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

marc@skypod.uucp (Marc Fournier) (04/22/91)

Hi,

	Can someone out in minixland tell me what sync does?  I think I just
threw my whole os off because I forgot to do a sync after recompiling
my kernel and then rebooting.  It got in okay, but didn't get very far before
I started getting errors.  Is it something that is too late to do now and I'll
have to redo the whole thing from the originals?  I'm still working off disks,
just got it, so it really isn't that much work.

Thanks...

--
| Marc G. Fournier   (416) 250-8589  |   Haven't thought of anything  |
| Toronto, Ontario                   |     real witty to say here!    |

protonen@daimi.aau.dk (Lars J|dal) (04/24/91)

marc@skypod.uucp (Marc Fournier) writes:

>	Can someone out in minixland tell me what sync does?  I think I just
>threw my whole os off because I forgot to do a sync after recompiling
>my kernel and then rebooting.  It got in okay, but didn't get very far before
>I started getting errors.  Is it something that is too late to do now and I'll
>have to redo the whole thing from the originals?  I'm still working off disks,
>just got it, so it really isn't that much work.

sync flushes the contents of the disk buffers to the disk. So, if you forgot
to type sync (or logout, which also does a sync) and missed something, it's
REALLY gone, as it only was in memory.
So, although I have no experience about recompiling Minix, I'm afraid you
have to do at least the final actions again. Perhaps something you have done
was saved, because if the program update is run in the background, a sync
is done every 25 seconds.

Good luck!

|      Lars J|dal       |       (put your favourite quotation here)        |
| protonen@daimi.aau.dk |                                                  |
| Computer Science Department  -  Aarhus University  -  Aarhus  -  Denmark |