[comp.os.minix] HELP -with making boot disk-xt clone-Seagate 238-RRL

Ed_Rodda@mindlink.bc.ca (Ed Rodda) (04/18/91)

I have a xt clone c/w a 32M Seagate 238R hard drive configured as RRL.
All my attempts to use xt_wini.c to produce a bootable disk have failed.
Would someone please e-mail me the changes to config.h and xt_wini.c to
make this work.

I am assuming that I am doing something wrong, however, if somebody has
discovered that it is necessary to hard code xt_wini, then I would
appreciate that info. This probably was a minix topic around ver. 1.0.

My skills in C are still rudimentary, much like my UNIX knowledge.

Thankyou very much your anticipated help.

Ed                              Ed_Rodda@mindlink.bc.ca

Anton Heinsbroek <heinsbr%svcentld%HDEDH1.wldelft.nl@cunyvm.cuny.edu> (04/22/91)

Ed Rodda posed the question:

> I have a xt clone c/w a 32M Seagate 238R hard drive configured as RRL.
> All my attempts to use xt_wini.c to produce a bootable disk have failed.
> Would someone please e-mail me the changes to config.h and xt_wini.c to
> make this work.
>
> I am assuming that I am doing something wrong, however, if somebody has
> discovered that it is necessary to hard code xt_wini, then I would
> appreciate that info. This probably was a minix topic around ver. 1.0.
>
> ... left out something

I remember that in version 1.3 the hard-disk size had been hard coded to
some 10 Mb (via the number of cylinders). So I advise you to have a look
inside xt_wini.c.

The driver at_wini.c reads data concerning cylinders, sectors per track,
etc. from a location in memory filled by the BIOS at startup (eventually
read from the CMOS ram) and is therefore more flexible.

Hope this is of any use to you,

Anton Heinsbroek     <heinsbr@svcentld%HDEDH1>

root@minixug.mugnet.org (MINIXUG-ONLINE System Manager) (04/25/91)

In article <5541@mindlink.bc.ca>, Ed_Rodda@mindlink.bc.ca (Ed Rodda) wrote:
> I have a xt clone c/w a 32M Seagate 238R hard drive configured as RRL.
> All my attempts to use xt_wini.c to produce a bootable disk have failed.
> Would someone please e-mail me the changes to config.h and xt_wini.c to
> make this work.

RLL drives need 25, 26, 27 or 31 sectors per track, instead of the
"standard" 17 for MFM drives.  That's one..

The second problem is (you guessed it..) the controller board.  If
you have a Seagate ST11-R RLL controller, I can send you my driver
for it.  There is also a driver for the Adaptect 2732 board, I
believe.

> I am assuming that I am doing something wrong, however, if somebody has
> discovered that it is necessary to hard code xt_wini, then I would
> appreciate that info. This probably was a minix topic around ver. 1.0.
Yes, and it still is.  As read in some book: "The nice thing about
standards is, that there are so many to choose from"... :-)

Fred