[comp.os.minix] Is there a patch to astrip?

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (04/21/91)

I am trying to compress some of my newly-compiled executables (thanks,
Christoph!) by stripping them. Astrip appears to be the tool for this
job (strip appears to assume a PC machine).  However it does not work.
I was giving a 'bad format' message, which I tracked to a wrong value
of the 'magic number' in an include file!!  However it still does not
work now, it bombs with a read error.  I think the problem is that it
is expecting, either through info in the "out.h" file or thru the call
to 'getofmt', an executable format different from what it sees.

What needs to be done to get this to working?  Why is there an incorrect
header file in the PH distribution?  Is anybody else having this
problem, or solved it?

					jt

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (04/23/91)

strip is the right command to strip the symbol table from ST MINIX
binaries.

astrip perhaps strips symbol tables from ACK objects (there is no point
in doing it, besides).

Forget about astrip (useless), why does strip not work?

C.v.W.

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) (04/23/91)

In article <51517@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Christoph van Wuellen <HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> writes:
>strip is the right command to strip the symbol table from ST MINIX
>binaries.
>
>astrip perhaps strips symbol tables from ACK objects (there is no point
>in doing it, besides).
>
>Forget about astrip (useless), why does strip not work?
>
>C.v.W.

When I type 'strip /usr/bin/ls', say, I get the error message:

/usr/bin/ls -- not an executable file

or some such nonsense.  I deduced that astrip was the right guy to use
since I tried nm on an object file (when trying to get c68 up!) which
did not work, but anm did.  This may be incorrect in the details, it
has been several days.  So I thought hmmm, nm => anm, therefore
strip => astrip.

I really do need to buy this book!!  A copy is on the way.  Then I will
perhaps ask some more informed questions.

				Jeff

by the way, this is funny in light of your comments; even though I am
on a Mac, when I say 'file /usr/bin/ls', it tells me it is a 'MINIX/ST
executable file'.

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (04/23/91)

templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:
>I really do need to buy this book!!  A copy is on the way.  Then I will
>perhaps ask some more informed questions.
Uhm. How did you get a copy of MacMinix without getting the book.
I smell something illegal here....

>				Jeff

>by the way, this is funny in light of your comments; even though I am
>on a Mac, when I say 'file /usr/bin/ls', it tells me it is a 'MINIX/ST
>executable file'.
Executables are exchangeable on all 68000 platforms.
When I ported file to the ST, I introduced that message.
Seems like Joe never changed it. Perhaps a better formulation would be
that it is a MINIX/68000 executable file.

Most likely on the amiga file /usr/bin/ls will also tell that it is
an ST executable file. That serves them right :-) :-)
--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@prl.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

Christoph van Wuellen <HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> (04/23/91)

anm is for ACK objects (*.o), not for binaries, nm is for binaries.
astrip is for ACK objects (pointless, as I said), strip is for
binaries.

I use strip very often, so I am confused that it does not work for
you. Perhaps your ls is in /bin, not /usr/bin -(.

In article <51619@nigel.ee.udel.edu> HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) writes:
>anm is for ACK objects (*.o), not for binaries, nm is for binaries.
>astrip is for ACK objects (pointless, as I said), strip is for
>binaries.
>
>I use strip very often, so I am confused that it does not work for
>you. Perhaps your ls is in /bin, not /usr/bin -(.

No, this is just a representative case; it happens with other binaries
too.  I think if the file does not exist, one gets a 'cannot stat'
message.  Maybe I will try looking at it again, peek at the source.
Do you know where the binary format is documented (I could not find
the 'ld' source code.)

					Jeff

Tyler Sarna <tsarna@cub> (04/25/91)

Frans Meulenbroeks <meulenbr%CST.PRL.PHILIPS.NL@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
writes:

> Most likely on the amiga file /usr/bin/ls will also tell that it
> an ST executable file. That serves them right :-) :-)

Grrrrr :-)

BTW, what is the largest HD partition that can be used on ST
minix? I'd hate to divide my disk into lots of 32-meg chunks.

--
Tyler "Ty" Sarna                         tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu

      "I protest Captain! I am NOT a merry man!" -- Lt. Worf

jerry@talos.npri.com (Jerry Gitomer) (04/25/91)

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) writes:

|templon@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (jeffrey templon) writes:
||I really do need to buy this book!!  A copy is on the way.  Then I will
||perhaps ask some more informed questions.
|Uhm. How did you get a copy of MacMinix without getting the book.
|I smell something illegal here....

	Prentice-Hall, at least here in the United States,  includes a
	manual, but not the book with 1.5

			Jerry

--
Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.