[comp.os.minix] German keyboard

minix@peter.urz.uni-heidelberg.de (Minix-Postkasten) (04/26/91)

Iod like to know how to get Minix 1.5 (running on IBM PS/2)
working with a german keyboard.

Please send your answer to
peter@peter.urz.uni-heidelberg.de

Thanks in andvance for your answer.
Peter

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (05/01/91)

In article <51912@nigel.ee.udel.edu> minix@peter.urz.uni-heidelberg.de (Minix-Postkasten) writes:
>Iod like to know how to get Minix 1.5 (running on IBM PS/2)
>working with a german keyboard.

Since I have noticed an increased interest, and questions about
changing the layout of the keyboard for other countries than the
default three or four, I decided to post this.  (BTW I'm running
1.5PH-386 Minix, Thanks Bruce.)

I have 'icelandified' keyboard.c so now I have our icelandic letters,
but it took a bit of a thought.  The reason?  keyboard.c uses the 8th
bit as an (well, sort of), internal marker for control/alt/escape/function-
keys.  (And we have to use the 8th bit for our letters.)  So I had to shuffle
some characters around, but that was ok.

(I know of at least one other person who has icelandified the keyboard,
but there might be others?)

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I can send 'diffs' to the original
'keyboard.c' from PH Minix 1.5  (I can send my keyboard.c file as well.)

The sizes are:

26685	bytes for keyboard.c  (my current version of keyboard.c, with no
virtual consoles or other changes (yet))
17160	bytes for the diff file.)

--
Internet:    einari@rhi.hi.is        |   "Just give me my command line and drag
UUCP:    ..!mcsun!isgate!rhi!einari  |   the GUIs to the waste basket!!!!"

Surgeon Generals warning:  Masking the 8th bit can seriously damage your brain!!