[comp.os.minix] Info wanted on Minix for Macintosh

howard@lysator.liu.se (MindWalker) (05/01/91)

I need some information about Minix for the Mac which I can't seem to find in
the FAQ and info lists.

1)  Does Minix run under MultiFinder, or does it take over the machine
    completely?

2)  Can Minix files and MultiFinder files reside on the same disk, or will I
    have to buy another HD for Minix?

3)  Is there some kind of uniform GUI for Minix (ala X-Windows)?  I understand
    that Minix runs on a great number of machines with graphics capabilities,
    so this would be some kind of graphics command shell, presumably.

4)  What's the minimum configuration?  I'm considering an SE/30 with 8MB RAM
    and 100MB HD.

5)  Can I run GNU Emacs under Minix?

6)  Can I run GNU CC under Minix?

7)  Is Minix C source compatable with Unix, and if so, which version of
    Unix?

Any and all help greately appreciated.  Email answers preferred.  Thank you
kindly for you help.

Martin

--
Programming isn't a science,        | Foo:    howard@lysator.liu.se
it's an art.                        | Bar:    d89marho@odalix.ida.liu.se

KENC@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Ken Corey, CSCI Major...) (05/01/91)

>From:	IN%"INFO-MINIX@UDEL.EDU"  1-MAY-1991 03:25:22.45
>To:	"Ken A. Corey" <KENC@UNTVAX.BITNET>
>CC:
>Subj:	Info wanted on Minix for Macintosh

>Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 20:10:29 GMT
>From: MindWalker <howard@LYSATOR.LIU.SE>
>Subject: Info wanted on Minix for Macintosh
>Sender: INFO-MINIX-ERRORS@PLAINS.NODAK.EDU
>To: "Ken A. Corey" <KENC@UNTVAX.BITNET>
>Comments: Warning -- original Sender: tag was info-minix-request@UDEL.EDU
>Comments: To: info-minix@udel.edu
>
>I need some information about Minix for the Mac which I can't seem to find in
>the FAQ and info lists.
>
>1)  Does Minix run under MultiFinder, or does it take over the machine
>    completely?
>
>2)  Can Minix files and MultiFinder files reside on the same disk, or will I
>    have to buy another HD for Minix?
>
>3)  Is there some kind of uniform GUI for Minix (ala X-Windows)?  I understand
>    that Minix runs on a great number of machines with graphics capabilities,
>    so this would be some kind of graphics command shell, presumably.
>
>4)  What's the minimum configuration?  I'm considering an SE/30 with 8MB RAM
>    and 100MB HD.
>
>5)  Can I run GNU Emacs under Minix?
>
>6)  Can I run GNU CC under Minix?
>
>7)  Is Minix C source compatable with Unix, and if so, which version of
>    Unix?
>
>Any and all help greately appreciated.  Email answers preferred.  Thank you
>kindly for you help.
>
>Martin
>
>--
>Programming isn't a science,        | Foo:    howard@lysator.liu.se
>it's an art.                        | Bar:    d89marho@odalix.ida.liu.se
>Why is it called common sense,      | Fubar:  Martin_Howard:d89:lith@xns.liu.se
>when so few possess it ?            | Voice:  Int +46 (0)13 261 283 (GMT + 1h)
| Ken Corey  kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ken@isect.lonestar.org           |
| "Ladies strewn, those made to witness his charm, never daring or   |
|  allowed to touch the man behind the machine."  -Leah              |

twosheds@pancake.cray.com (Jay Vollmer) (05/02/91)

Many people on the net have said that they can't get MacMinix to run under
MultiFinder.  My experience is the opposite.  Minix ran fine for me under
MultiFinder on my IIcx(6.0.5), I did have problems though, under Finder.
I'm using 7.0b4 right now(and I'm not willing to go back to 6.0.x), and
Minix crashes under 7.0, so perhaps you'd like to buy my copy...  CHEAP!

 | __ |      | _________    Macintosh virtuoso     _________ |   |  | __ |
 | __ |      | _________ twosheds@pancake.cray.com _________ |___|  | __ |