[comp.os.minix] Problems with Mini-x

bevan@ecr.mu.oz.au (Bevan Anderson) (04/24/91)

G'day all.

Yes I have allready got a problem with Mini-x.

I compiled the new kernel last night, and have a problem.

GRAPHICS in fs/table.c is not defined anywhere, so comiling
it bombs out.
So what and where should it be defined?

Also, should there be a new valye for NR_PROCS ?
Compiling kernel/table.c bombs out due to multiply defined case
statements or something like that.
So should NR_PROCS be NR_PROCS + 1 ? (for the graphics)

Thanks for you thoughts,

Bevan.
Bevan Anderson.						Engineering
bevan@ecr.mu.oz.au					Melbourne Uni.

CRAWFORD_B%PLU.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (brian) (04/25/91)

I, too, am having problems with MINI-X.  I received the nine shell archive
files, transfered them to the Minix machine, put them in their own
directory and tried the command sh <filename>.  It started working just
fine.  All the directories were created that were needed and some of the
files began to be unpacked.  A few files got the length incorrect error (can't
remember the exact wording) and then after doing kernel/makefile.new, the
error message "Can't create pipe -- try again" came up.  This was on the
first of the nine files.  I didn't try any others.  I've looked at the
shell archive file; the code after unpacking kernel/makefile.new follows the
same format as the part that works--I don't see anything wrong.

Can anyone help?  What am I doing wrong?

I'm running Minix 1.3 (is this a problem; does MINI-X only work with 1.5?)
on a 486 25MHz compatible.  There is plenty of hard disk space and there
is plenty of ram disk space and there ought to be plenty of memory--there are
no other process running other than the shell upon bootup, update, and the
shell invoked to unpack the shell archive.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Crawford
CRAWFORD_B@PLU.BITNET

"Volker A. Brandt" <UNM409%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> (04/25/91)

Hello!

brian <CRAWFORD_B%PLU.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> writes:
>I, too, am having problems with MINI-X.  I received the nine shell archive
>files, transfered them to the Minix machine, put them in their own
>directory and tried the command sh <filename>.  It started working just
>fine.  All the directories were created that were needed and some of the
>files began to be unpacked.  A few files got the length incorrect error (can't
>remember the exact wording) ...
>Can anyone help?  What am I doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong.  Your only problem is that you are on BITNET.
The second I saw that Mini-X was distributed in un-encoded shar files, I threw
it away and ftp'ed it from Cologne (ftp.tph.uni-koeln.de).  The particular
problem here was that long lines were split.

It simply isn't possible to get un-encoded shar files through BITNET.  What
most Non-BITNETters don't understand is that there are two distinct file tyes
in BITNET: Binary, and EBCDIC text.  Binary is recognized throughout BITNET,
which is why multi-megabyte gif pictures and .lzh files traverse the entire
BITNET unscathed (so to speak :-).   Mail from The Outside, on the other hand,
is considered to be EBCDIC text (AFTER the incoming conversion, of course :-).
EBCDIC text is broken up to contain no lines longer than 80 chars (are you
listening, Dr. T. ?) so that you can read it on your terminal ....

The preferred distribution means is tar -> compress -> uue.  This works just
fine.  Another point for unsing tar:  it preserves file attributes and the
date/time info of the files, whereas sh just leaves the file the way it is
when you unshar it ...

Enough for now.

Bitnet:  UNM409@DBNRHRZ1                              Volker A. Brandt
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNRHRZ1.bitnet!unm409             Angewandte Mathematik
ARPAnet: UNM409%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU       (Bonn, Germany)

lft@cmn14.Stanford.EDU (Alfred Leung) (05/02/91)

In article <7432@munnari.oz.au> bevan@ecr.mu.oz.au (Bevan Anderson) writes:
>G'day all.
>
>Yes I have allready got a problem with Mini-x.
>
>I compiled the new kernel last night, and have a problem.
>
>GRAPHICS in fs/table.c is not defined anywhere, so comiling
>it bombs out.
>So what and where should it be defined?
>Also, should there be a new valye for NR_PROCS ?
>Compiling kernel/table.c bombs out due to multiply defined case
>statements or something like that.
>So should NR_PROCS be NR_PROCS + 1 ? (for the graphics)

I had the same problems.  What I did was:

in /usr/include/minix/com.h, I defined GRAPHICS as -8

in /usr/include/minix/const.h, I defined NR_TASKS as 10 (was 9, 15 for
Amoebas?).

These are the two definitions that I know of to be changed for the added
graphic task.  Anyone got another fix?
--
-------------------------- Alfred Leung, grad student, Stanford U n i   v
gaia@portia.stanford.edu  | H H | H H H   H | H   |    .   H |   .