[comp.os.minix] MacMinix: changes from original distribution

steven@legion.rain.com (steven) (04/26/91)

For the past several months I have not been following the MacMinix
discussions, updates, etc.  Recently my hard drive crashed and everything
that I already had was wiped out (no backups at the time).  In short,
everything that I had patched or was going to patch has been lost.

Could someone please email me with information on patches to MacMinix
(specifically: accessing the serial ports, fixes for rmaker, console
fixes, ps fixes, etc..) that have come out since the beginning?  As far
as I know no one is running a MacMinix archive.

Information on where gcc, g++, etc.. are would also be appreciated.

I will post results if wanted (and if there's anything to post).

ROHL%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@pucc.princeton.edu (04/27/91)

steve,
     It would be a great idea if you could post your responses.  As a
new macMINIX user I think that a list of fixes/programs would be
very useful
   Andrew Rohl (rohl@vax.ox.ac.uk)

steven@legion.rain.com (steven furber) (05/02/91)

ROHL%VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK@pucc.princeton.edu writes:

> steve,
>      It would be a great idea if you could post your responses.  As a
> new macMINIX user I think that a list of fixes/programs would be
> very useful

I'll post my responses right now.  The responses are simply a copy of
what I've gotten in email:

See, there it is.  (In other words, no one has told me anything.)

What I have done, however, is done everything I could to get a bootable
kernel running on my system again and then rebuilt the kernel.  I,
luckily, have the old patches laying around.  I have several from Joseph
Pickert (anyone seen him recently?) and several other people.  If someone
wants to take the time (I recommend a fast system) I will email all of
the patches to them and they can apply them to _original_ source to
determine how they effect each other.  I keep modifying my modified code,
so some of the patches didn't apply correctly; I now have a cursor that
won't backspace correctly.

Off the top of my head I have patches for the following:
  * fix for rmaker
  * fix for misc. console things
  * fix for initial window positioning (screwed up backspacing from
    the looks of it)
  * patch for ../include/a.out.h
  * patch for ../include/Mac/Memory.h
  * fix for serial port problems (NOT VERIFIED IN ANY WAY)
  * fix for ../src/commands/Mac/macread.c command

There are some others included in the patches, perhaps a total of 5 files
(two of them shar[chive]s).

Maybe I'll have UUCP up and running later on this summer...