[comp.os.minix] How do you use Minix?

wjb%cogsci.cog.jhu.edu@vm1.nodak.edu (Bill Bogstad) (04/06/91)

	I've always wondered exactly what people do with Minix.  Some people
use it as part of classes on operating systems.  Other people like to do
system programming with Minix.  A few even run BBSs with Minix.  I suppose
some people even balance their checkbooks and write letters.  I'ld like to
conduct a little poll on what people do with Minix.  E-mail me a list of
things you do with Minix.  I'll summarize to the mailing list once responses
start to fall off.  To start, here is what I use Minix for:

	1. Terminal emulation and file transfer
	2. Practicing my system programming skills

				Bill Bogstad

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (04/16/91)

wjb%cogsci.cog.jhu.edu@vm1.nodak.edu (Bill Bogstad) wrote:

> 	I've always wondered exactly what people do with Minix.  Some people
> use it as part of classes on operating systems.  Other people like to do
> system programming with Minix.  A few even run BBSs with Minix.  I suppose
> some people even balance their checkbooks and write letters.  I'ld like to
> conduct a little poll on what people do with Minix.  E-mail me a list of
> things you do with Minix.  I'll summarize to the mailing list once responses
> start to fall off.  To start, here is what I use Minix for:
>
> 	1. Terminal emulation and file transfer
> 	2. Practicing my system programming skills
>
> 				Bill Bogstad

Everything.  Simple...

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands

Bill Bogstad <wjb%cogsci.cog.jhu.edu@vm1.nodak.edu> (05/02/91)

	About 3 weeks ago, I posted a message in an attempt to poll Minix
users and see in exactly what ways Minix is being used.  I haven't gotten
any new responses in over a week now, so I've decided it is time to post a
summary.  I received about a dozen responses listing various activities.
I've divided up the uses into 3 categories and have listed them below:

		Programming

	Learning about system programming
	Learning about operating systems
	Learning about Unix
	Upgrading to new versions
	Porting software
	Course work on operating systems
	"Hacking"

		Communications

	File transfer
	Remote terminal emulation
	Running a BBS
	Email/Usenet machine
	As a multiuser platform

		Other

	Support for class work at home
	Substitute for work environment at home
	Text processing/Pseudo-Typesetting
	Mutual fund database
	Adding support for braille terminal (from a recent posting)
	"Everything" (from a well known Minix personality)

	The two categories, programming and communication, seem to fall into
typical programmer activities particularily when crossed with the "hacker"
mentality.  All of these activities are directly related to programming or
provide support for such activities.

	The final category fits this stereotypical user less well.  I guess
the most surprising response that I received was the one about maintaining a
database on mutual funds (investments).  The whole reason for my original
posting was to see to what extent people were using Minix as a tool versus
using Minix to learn to use Minix or program.  Even in this last category
some of the uses mentioned may actually be in support of programming
activities.  I was somewhat surprised that nobody mentioned computer games.
"Hacking" and "gaming" in my mind at least always seemed to go together.
Although some games have been posted here in the past, it appears that they
haven't really effected the ways that people use Minix.

	At least at this time, it appears that Minix is still primarily used
for exactly the goals for which it was originally intended, i.e. to help
people learn about programming.  Whether this will or even should change in
the future I don't know.  I think it would be nice if Minix could support
other uses, but we'll have to wait and see.  I'll probably try this again a
year from now and see how things have changed.

					Bill Bogstad

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (05/02/91)

I am using MINIX as the primary OS on my selfmade 68K box (since I have
no other OS, besides CP/M-68K)

so add to your list:

text processing with C-TeX
developement of c68 and c386