[comp.os.minix] Where are old postings regarding SCSI-drivers for PC 1.5.10

dingbat@diku.dk (Niels Skov Olsen) (05/04/91)

I am trying to locate some old postings about SCSI-drivers (without
bothering the authors). I have found folowing references in the file
'Previouswork' on Plains:

   9180) SCSI ~ 102 (Joerg Wedeck)
   10605) Here is the SCSI-driver ! ~ 344 (Fred van Kempen)
   10717) A (hopefully) general driver for SCSI [long] ~ 181 (Magnus Doell)
   11930) SCSI-disk-device-driver-kit for PC-MINIX-1.5 1/2 Document ~ 780 (Saku
   11931) SCSI-disk-device-driver-kit for PC-MINIX-1.5 2/2 CDIFFs ~ 711 (Sakura

Could someone please point me to an archive (ftp) that would hold articles
in that genre ?

thank you

Niels Skou Olsen
dingbat@diku.dk

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May4.150450.9457@odin.diku.dk> dingbat@diku.dk (Niels Skov Olsen) writes:
>I am trying to locate some old postings about SCSI-drivers (without
>bothering the authors).

How about browsing or searching the archive sites?  Sometimes you have to
take the initiative yourself; Minix (or anything you get off the net, for
that matter) is not your shrink-wrapped software from Big, Inc with a
patient telephone support staff!

Since there have been SOO MANY questions about this lately, I'll post an
answer.

[from the FAQ post on May 1 <CAQMay991A@plains.nodak.edu> ]
9.  IS THERE A SCSI DRIVER FOR MINIX?
     All SCSI controlers work differently, from the primitive Seagate ST01,
     to the smarter Always IN-2000, and Adaptec with it's own on-board CPU.

     Magnus Doell has released his driver  for  the  ST-02,  and  there  is
     another one for an Adaptec controler.  The ROM wini driver should also
     run most SCSI controlers but you loose protected mode capability.

(didn't think that thing was worth reading, did you? :-)

Bits via FTP: ftp to plains.nodak.edu.  Prefix all names below with "pub/",
except for "NEW" which is unavailable to FTPers (it's a soft link to a
different disk partition).

Bits via Mail: mail your request to archive-server@plains.nodak.edu and use

get pathname/filename

If your machine is on uucp but not listed in the maps, you have to use a
"path" command from Plains to get back to you (I'm suprised at how many of
these sites there are out there who still try using the server).

You may also want to uuencode the files; ask the server for "help".

See the Minix Information Sheet for more details.

>   10717) A (hopefully) general driver for SCSI [long] ~ 181 (Magnus Doell)

Minix/mdoell-st01-2

(my 386sx pc here runs this code; it's slow, but it works).

>   11930) SCSI-disk-device-driver-kit for PC-MINIX-1.5 1/2 Document ~ 780 (Saku
>   11931) SCSI-disk-device-driver-kit for PC-MINIX-1.5 2/2 CDIFFs ~ 711 (Sakura

NEW/pc/127 <167@uitecgw.uitec.ac.jp>Subject: SCSI-disk-device-driver-kit for PC-MINIX-1.5               1/2 Document
NEW/pc/128 <168@uitecgw.uitec.ac.jp>Subject: SCSI-disk-device-driver-kit for PC-MINIX-1.5               2/2 CDIFFs
  ^        ^
  |        |-- don't put this in your request (it's for your reference)
  |-- this is the filename you ask for

New/misc/173 <31564@nigel.ee.udel.edu>Subject: Here is the SCSI-driver !

>   9180) SCSI ~ 102 (Joerg Wedeck)

I can't find it; can you?