[comp.os.minix] retraction of bovine exhaust

dc@caveat.berkeley.edu (Dave Cottingham) (05/07/91)

I apologize for writing more on this topic, which this list has
probably heard enough about already, but:

In article <1991May3.160208.18011@agate.berkeley.edu> I wrote:
>And on a separate topic, my recent diatribe here about the evils of
>software patents contained one item that is apparently misinformation,
>i.e. bullshit.  Among the ludicrous patents I listed was a patent on
>the include file.  I got a message asking for more info on this, and
>after some effort I find that I still have no info on it, leading me
>to conclude that there is no such patent.  I regret having propagated
>this rumor.

OK, so I just got a note from Michael Ernst telling me that the US
patent on include files is #4674040 "Merging of Documents" granted
6/16/87 to IBM (so I guess after 2004 we'll be able to use #include
with no royalty!) and he refers us to Brian Kahin, "The Impact of
Software Patents", EDUCOM Review (Vol. 24 No. 4, Winter 1989).

I promise to never to mention this patent again on this list.

Dave Cottingham			| "The low-bid contractor is not always
dc@caveat.berkeley.edu		|  the truly socially conscious one."