[comp.os.minix] Thanks, but make still doesn't work!

jhensley@isis.cs.du.edu (John 'Hawg' Hensley) (05/10/91)

First off, thanks to everyone who responded to my first barrage of
questions.

BUT... I tried chmem'ing make to just about every conceivable size, with
no luck at all. It still gives an error 32512 on everything I try. If
I could just find out what that means, it'd probably be easy to fix, but
I can't find any references to it. If anyone has a clue, I'd greatly
appreciate it. If nothing else, I suppose I could try reinstalling
everything, but that seems a little extreme, as I haven't changed much
from the stock 1.5, and don't see how it would help.

Here's what I have: 1.5 out of the box, running on a 640K XT with a 32M
hard disk, with the Clam shell added. My root image is on the HD, leaving
484K free at boot time (I haven't checked to see how much Clam takes up,
but it still doesn't work just using sh.).

John

evans@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Bruce.Evans) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May10.035457.12570@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> jhensley@isis.cs.du.edu (John 'Hawg' Hensley) writes:
>BUT... I tried chmem'ing make to just about every conceivable size, with
>no luck at all. It still gives an error 32512 on everything I try. If
>I could just find out what that means, it'd probably be easy to fix, but
>I can't find any references to it. If anyone has a clue, I'd greatly
>appreciate it. If nothing else, I suppose I could try reinstalling
>everything, but that seems a little extreme, as I haven't changed much
>from the stock 1.5, and don't see how it would help.

32512 is 0x7F00. It says that some child process of make is returning the
code 0x7F. (This is an (irrelevant) bug in make. It does not really
understand U*x exit codes (sys/wait.h stuff). Make should report the error
code 0x7F too.)

0x7F is 127. 127 is what system() returns when it cannot execl /bin/sh.
Make calls system() a lot. It looks like /bin/sh is missing or is chmem'ed
too big to execute. I would expect a lot of other things to break if
/bin/sh is missing or nonstandard.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@syd.dit.csiro.au

mvharding@cup.portal.com (Michael V Harding) (05/11/91)

I have seen the same problem with make on MacMinix: that mysterious
error 35xxx.  It only happens sometimes, the system has been behaving
lately.  The first time I saw the error is when I tried to make a shell
file to MAKE a new system by running make on FS, MM, KERNEL, etc.