[comp.os.minix] 512K & Minix, not really.

mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu (05/13/91)

	I was reading a note from Andy, and saw him mention machines with
512K memory. I have Minix on an AT w/512K at school, and it's not very usefull.
After Minix, SH, and update, there's not much for anything else. Minix was
designed to be compiled (use in OpSys classes). With this little memory one
can't use make, and even has problems with shell scripts and compiles. To
compile I have make -n, then compile into .s and run asld in a script file.
There isn't enough room to just 'make' it. I think that a requirement of
compatability (in regardes to memory size) would have to include being able
to re-compile the system from .c -> .s (or .o) -> a.out -> Minix.img without
fancy tricks. In this regards, I would sugest droping 512K machines from
being listed as compatable (especially since the next version will take up
even more space, and probably will have even more problems).

				mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu
				acm118@dworkin.ccs.northeastern.edu

hbetel@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Heather Betel) (05/14/91)

In article <53386@nigel.ee.udel.edu> mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:

>	I was reading a note from Andy, and saw him mention machines with
>512K memory. I have Minix on an AT w/512K at school, and it's not very usefull.
>After Minix, SH, and update, there's not much for anything else. Minix was
>designed to be compiled (use in OpSys classes). With this little memory one
>can't use make, and even has problems with shell scripts and compiles. To
>compile I have make -n, then compile into .s and run asld in a script file.
>There isn't enough room to just 'make' it. I think that a requirement of
>compatability (in regardes to memory size) would have to include being able
>to re-compile the system from .c -> .s (or .o) -> a.out -> Minix.img without
>fancy tricks. In this regards, I would sugest droping 512K machines from
>being listed as compatable (especially since the next version will take up
>even more space, and probably will have even more problems).

	I totally disagree. I use minix on an AT/512K, and have very
few problems. In general, I use makefiles that will make the object
files, then link in a separate stage. Not so difficult.

--- Richard