[comp.os.minix] Minix on a ST, GUI for MINIX?

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (03/14/91)

Well, I've played with the Minix demo, and am interested, but I have a few
questions:

	o I have a ST, and I really like my windowing environment, and I
would really hate to give it up. Has there been any discussion into porting
some sort of GUI to Minix?

	o How well does it support all the ports on my ST, including the
MIDI ports?

Thanks.......

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for IBM Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	      Subdirectory?               R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (03/17/91)

> Well, I've played with the Minix demo, and am interested, but I have a few
> questions:

> 	o I have a ST, and I really like my windowing environment, and I
> would really hate to give it up. Has there been any discussion into porting
> some sort of GUI to Minix?

Disclaimer: I've had Minix for awhile but I've only started using it
recently now that I have enough hard disk space to do it justice.

I've followed the news group for several months now, and to my knowledge
there is no GUI running under Minix-ST (or PC or Mac, etc).

However, I'd like to help with or, if no one's already tried, perform
all by my lonesome a port of MGR to Minix-ST. I think MGR is a great
choice for a couple of reasons:

  - It's not a big resource hog like X (it's fairly small)

  - It's already been ported to the ST under MiNT, another ST
    environment which adds many UNIX extensions to the ST's OS. Maybe
    Eric Smith (author of MiNT and porter of MGR to it.) will be able
    to give tips/advice on how easy the task will be and how to approach it.

  - Source code is easily obtainable from Bellcore

It seems that if a small set of graphics primitives were used, i.e.
draw point, draw line, query point, etc. Users of other Minix flavors
(PC, etc) would then just have to implement the 'graphics kernel' and
they'd be set!

Anyone have ideas in how challenging it would be to come up with a set
of memory mapped graphics primitives on Minix ST??

So does anyone want to help? :^)

/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* 2001 Danfield Ct. MS470A        *                                      */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado 80525    * (303) 223-5100 X-319                 */
Fortune:
After an instrument has been assembled, extra components will be found
on the bench.

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (03/19/91)

I think that MGR sort-of wants a BSD environment. In any case, Eric
Smith wrote MiNT for the Atari ST to be incredibly BSD-like, including
job control, fifos, etc. etc. (not bad for an extender to an OS based
on CP/M!). Surely, if one programmer could do all that for GEMDOS,
it would not be so hard for a group of people to do the same for Minix.
On the plus side, MiNT reads and writes to Minix partitions from GEMDOS,
which is very nice. How hard would it be to BSD-ize Minix (I don't have
it yet, just the demo).

David
/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) (03/21/91)

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:

>I think that MGR sort-of wants a BSD environment.

I haven't yet looked at the MGR sources, but from the
documentation (and the fact that it was developed at Bell
Communications Research) it seems that it was intended for
System V (although the newest versions at bellcore are for Sparc
and DECstations, which have BSD-like OSes).

> How hard would it be to BSD-ize Minix (I don't have
>it yet, just the demo).

Rather hard, I think. But for MGR all you need is a way to send
commands from the client to the server and back reliably. This
could be streams (SysV), sockets (BSD), fifos (many) or messages
(Minix).

--
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer                       | Think of it   |
| |_|_) | Technical University Vienna           | as evolution  |

hyc@hanauma.jpl.nasa.gov (Howard Chu) (03/22/91)

In article <2384@tuvie.UUCP> hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) writes:
>david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:
>>I think that MGR sort-of wants a BSD environment.

>> How hard would it be to BSD-ize Minix (I don't have
>>it yet, just the demo).
>
>Rather hard, I think. But for MGR all you need is a way to send
>commands from the client to the server and back reliably. This
>could be streams (SysV), sockets (BSD), fifos (many) or messages
>(Minix).

Actually, MGR doesn't use sockets at all, it just needs pseudo-ttys
for the BSD version. Client-server interaction is via escape-sequences
sent using normal I/O. This also could be done with Streams in SysV.
How do Minix virtual terminals work?
--
  -- Howard Chu @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
	Disclaimer: How would I know, I just got here!

ded2530@evtprp0b.UUCP (Dale E. Dey) (05/15/91)

Subject: Building Initial Root Partition with MacMinix

Hi!  I just started installing the MacMinix v1.5 onto a hard drive,
(mac IIx, 4 Mb) but severe confusion set in.  How do you create a
root file if the routines needed to do this are on another disk
(01.USR1) that must be copied to the existing root partition,
BUT DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH SPACE??

I have been able to do the maccreates, mkfs, but cannot do a setup_root
due to having to dismount the 01.USR1 disk to perform the setup_root
(setup_root uses /dev/hd0 that 01.USR1 occupies).  I want to use all
/dev/hd0-4 devices.  Does this mean that I cannot have 5 partitions?

Could someone please help.  Thanks.

Dale E. Dey                    | ** I'm completely on my own. **
Boeing Computer Services       | Internet: ded2530@otis.ca.boeing.com
P.O. Box 24346, M/S 6M-97      | UUCP: !uunet!bcstec!otis!ded2530
Seattle, WA 98124-0346         | Phone: (206) 234-3611