[comp.os.minix] chown in Minix

Tyler Sarna <tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu> (05/16/91)

In comp.os.minix, Kevin Brown
<kevin%NUCHAT.SCCSI.COM@VM1.NoDak.EDU> writes:

> The reason for all that is that the chown() system call requires root privs
> under Minix.  Under System V, it doesn't, but instead checks to see whether
> or not the owner of the file (or root) is trying to change the file's
> ownership.  On systems without disk quota, the approach taken by System V
> is the Right Answer (IMHO). But the System V approach leads to problems on

Yes, I always assumed that chown worked as you described (either
root or owner of the file), but from reading ast's book (the
Tanenbook? :->) it doesn't. What does POSIX have to say on this
matter?

--
Tyler "Ty" Sarna                       tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu

     "Navy. It's not just a job, it's $98.76 a week." -SNL