[comp.os.minix] NMI during boo

jan@targon.UUCP (Jan van Zeggelaar) (05/13/91)

Hello out there. This is also my first posting to the net, so bear with me too.

In article <1991May2.221459.7701@hubcap.clemson.edu> tboatma@hubcap.clemson.edu (Tommy Boatman) writes:
>Hello All (this is my first post so please bear with me)
>
>I just became the proud owner of the MINIX demo disk for the IBM PC.
>I got the file written to a disk and then tried to boot it.
>At first everything seemed fine...but when i typed u to start MINIX
>The system gave me a message at the top of the screen that read
>
>Nonmaskable interrupt
>process number -9, pc=0x0060:0x00005c95
>
>Kernel panic: exception in kernel, mm or fs
>Type any key to reboot
>
>after typing a key the machine does a warm boot and the cycle goes on.
>I have an IBM clone that I put together myself with various parts.
>Is there any hope of me getting it to run (I remember reading that
>MINIX may not work on clones) on my system, or should I give up?
>Thanks a bunch for any help anybody can give me.
>
>-tommy

I also get this error. I have an AT with a so called passive backplane. As
long as my 80286/12Mhz board 'powered' my computer MINIX worked with no real
problems. Because of lack of memory I bought a 80386/20Mhz with 2 Meg memory
Now I also get the message described above. The funny (well not that funny)
thing is that everything is running perfectly on almost (it must be almost)
the same AT at work. The only difference I spotted is that my processor-board
is a newer versioni, 20 Mhz instead of 16 and 2 Meg piggyback memory instead
of a lot of SIL chips on the board itself.
It may be that I also have a different controler board.

Both are however officially the same type of computer and give no problem
with MS-DOeSn't. The computer type is Nixdorf M55 but it spells NCR al over
the printed circuits. I have, of course, removed all modems & mouses. I even
uninstalled the harddisks and tried booting from floppies. Nothing helped.

Can anyone out there help me out, thanks in advance,

                Jan Z.

jan@targon.UUCP (Jan van Zeggelaar) (05/14/91)

Sorry to bother again. But since news supplied me with a default header, I
assumed that my E-mail adress would be somewhere to. It appeared not to.
So if there is anyone who can help me out on the non maskable interupt in
process -9 my E-mail adress is: uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!targon!jan (I hope)

				Jan Z.

P.S. the next time I will try and make such a beautyful trailer, everybody
     seems to have, also

bjrinn@vicstoy.UUCP (Jason Rinn) (05/19/91)

Well, its my first posting too, so here goes.
I appologize for my spelling and my terse summaries of previous messages. .ti

In article <1743@targon.UUCP> jan@targon.UUCP (Jan van Zeggelaar) writes:
>Hello out there. This is also my first posting to the net, so bear with me too.
>
>In article <1991May2.221459.7701@hubcap.clemson.edu> tboatma@hubcap.clemson.edu (Tommy Boatman) writes:
>>Hello All (this is my first post so please bear with me)
>>
>>I just became the proud owner of the MINIX demo disk for the IBM PC.
>>I got the file written to a disk and then tried to boot it.
>>At first everything seemed fine...but when i typed u to start MINIX
>>The system gave me a message at the top of the screen that read
>>
>>Nonmaskable interrupt
>>process number -9, pc=0x0060:0x00005c95
>>
>>Kernel panic: exception in kernel, mm or fs
>>Type any key to reboot

  [describes his machine]   ]
>>-tommy

  [describes his machine also]]]

>                Jan Z.

I also had the problem described above, and managed to find a solution of
sorts.
It seems that the line in the /etc/rc that sets the date causes these
interrupts.  At least, commenting it out prevented them.
The strange part is, on my system, they only occured when I first placed
the system on my HD and booted off a 360K disk.  Now, I boot off a
720K disk with an exact copy of the same 360K, and it works fine.

BTW, my machine is a Pionex/Fountain 386sx with a WD 120M IDE HD a 1.2M and
1.44M floppy drive.

The temporary solution is to comment out the /etc/date line in the /etc/rc
file, either with a friends machine or maybe the BIOS boot disk.
I hope this works for you.

             Jason Rinn

             bjrinn@vicstoy.UUCP