[comp.os.minix] How to compile CLAM 1.4 ?

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (05/19/91)

Can anyone tell me how to compile CLAM 1.4 for Minix-PC 1.5?
I used bcc and it compiled nicely after a few changes to header.h
(moving the #include <stdio.h> to be the last include and renaming
prints to Prints because of the library function with the same name).
But when I tried to run it, it crashed immediately with a core dump. A
binary was included with the sources but I want to recompile it to make
it able to handle 8 bit characters because I have installed the german
keyboard driver.

Thanks for any hint,
Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams

evans@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Bruce.Evans) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May19.145438.298@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to compile CLAM 1.4 for Minix-PC 1.5?
>I used bcc and it compiled nicely after a few changes to header.h
>(moving the #include <stdio.h> to be the last include and renaming
>prints to Prints because of the library function with the same name).
>But when I tried to run it, it crashed immediately with a core dump. A

I think the problem with bcc is that it produces a clam with text size > 64K.
The linker should refuse to do that. Sorry it doesn't. MM should refuse to
start binaries with preposterous sizes. It does some (incomplete) size
checking but starts out wrong by truncating sizes mod 64K. Sizes of precisely
64K give the most interesting bugs :-).

Perhaps you can removes some features from clam to get it to fit. I compiled
it with bcc for Minix-386 (85K text). It seemed to work, but I never used it
seriously. Somehow I compiled it with ACK for 16-bit mode (50K text). Now I
use bash-1.07.cwru compiled with bcc (200K text). Finally a shell worth using!
--
Bruce Evans		evans@syd.dit.csiro.au