[comp.os.minix] Umail addressing 'problem'

mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu (05/04/91)

	I got the newest umail from pub/Minix/ftp_contrib on plains.nodak.edu
and I still have problems with adress's such as the one for the lab's computer.
It's mail is sent to corwin via UUCP. As such, it hasthe following form:

		irons%Minix1.UUCP@Corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU

  umail.cf had a domain name entry of UUCP@Corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU to
produce an almost correct reply address. This is needed because corwin will
not use uucp by default and needs the .UUCP to over-ride the default. As
such the irons@Minix1 needs to be irons%Minix1 due to the .UUCP@Corwin in
the workin address. This isn't a problem with 'bang' style addressing, but
some machines such as 'that lynx thing' (Glen Overby has a low {deservably}
oppinion of our lynx system) can't deal with 'bang' style names. Lynx needs
Internet style address's. Umail also complains in /usr/lib/umail/umail.err
about the % in general. I can mail out with an address such as
mike.irons%lynx.northrastern.edu@Corwin, but umail doesn't like it. Umail
will even send irons%Minix1.UUCP@Corwin to corwin and back again, not
ralizing that it is just a convoluted local address.

	On a side note, the new uucp package on plains does not take into
account for the foo in the L-devices file for the uucico and cu programs.

	Please e-mail responces to me as well as the net, as it takes forever
to get here, and comp.os.minix is relayed here.

			mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu
			acm118@dworkin.ccs.northeastern.edu

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (05/20/91)

mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu () wrote:

> 	I got the newest umail from pub/Minix/ftp_contrib on plains.nodak.edu
> and I still have problems with adress's such as the one for the lab's computer.
> It's mail is sent to corwin via UUCP. As such, it hasthe following form:
>
> 		irons%Minix1.UUCP@Corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU
>
>   umail.cf had a domain name entry of UUCP@Corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU to
> produce an almost correct reply address. This is needed because corwin will

U-MAIL was designed for small systems, with relatively `simple' addressing
needs.  As such, it functions quit well.  In UMAIL 3.57, I finished up the
TCP/IP support code (yeah- it now talks SMTP too, people!), to make it
usable on the machinery at work (lots of Bull DPX/2's).  Works great...

With addressing needs like yours, I suggest using Sendmail or perhaps (if
it can hack it) Smail 3.1 .If you can tell me what the exact problem is,
I could think about a change in UMAIL to do it.  Please respond by email..

> account for the foo in the L-devices file for the uucico and cu programs.
Yeah, I forgot that one.  It will be replaced by the now-almost-debugged
UUCP/4E package soon.

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands