[comp.os.minix] Free IBM PC simulator available by FTP

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/19/91)

I have written an 8088 interpreter in C that runs on SPARCs and probably
other machines.  It also simulates enough I/O gear of the IBM PC that
you can run MINIX 1.1 on the simulator.  The simulator is not perfect,
but still may be of some interest.  It will not run MS-DOS because
MS-DOS needs a BIOS, and the BIOS is copyrighted, so it is not included
in the simulator.  If you provide your own BIOS, it might work.  This
has never been tried.

The simulator is available only by FTP.  It is on ftp.cs.vu.nl (192.31.231.42)
in directory minix/simulator. There is also other minix stuff in minix/*
as well as amoeba stuff in amoeba/* (Amoeba is a distributed operating system).
All the directories have READ_ME files explaining what's in them.

Everything in all the directories is copyright.  Permission is hereby
granted to upload and use the files for educational and research use only.
Other use requires written permission from the copyright owner.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

jkp@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) (04/21/91)

>Everything in all the directories is copyright.  Permission is hereby
>granted to upload and use the files for educational and research use only.
>Other use requires written permission from the copyright owner.
>

>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

Ah well, when seeing the subject in comp.archives, I thought somebody
had finally written a free Intel processor emulator, with free meaning
it can be copied, made better, used for whatever purpose, sold, source
available, etc.  But not so, it appears I can't run a game on it if
the game is not educational or I'm not doing research about the game
or the emulator.

Anyway, thanks for the emulator, I'll probably try it sometime on my
pc532 (what would be nicer than running 8088 Minix on top of pc532
minix ;-).

But would people please use words with a more precice meaning in the
subjects, so they wouldn't give wrong impressions to readers.  I don't
consider a program free if I'm the program can't be freely used to run
anything on it, ie. there are this restrictions as strict as not being
able to use it for anything other than educational and research use
only.

//Jyrki

root@minixug.mugnet.org (MINIXUG-ONLINE System Manager) (04/25/91)

In article <9764@star.cs.vu.nl>, ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) wrote:
> I have written an 8088 interpreter in C that runs on SPARCs and probably
> other machines.  It also simulates enough I/O gear of the IBM PC that
> you can run MINIX 1.1 on the simulator.  The simulator is not perfect,
> but still may be of some interest.  It will not run MS-DOS because
> MS-DOS needs a BIOS, and the BIOS is copyrighted, so it is not included
> in the simulator.  If you provide your own BIOS, it might work.  This
> has never been tried.
I have a free (PD, boys!) BIOS for PC's at "minixug".  Since it's
assembler source, it is quite large, but working... :-)

> The simulator is available only by FTP.  It is on ftp.cs.vu.nl (192.31.231.42)
> in directory minix/simulator. There is also other minix stuff in minix/*
> as well as amoeba stuff in amoeba/* (Amoeba is a distributed operating system).
> All the directories have READ_ME files explaining what's in them.
>
> Everything in all the directories is copyright.  Permission is hereby
> granted to upload and use the files for educational and research use only.
> Other use requires written permission from the copyright owner.

Uhh, Andy?  What about me making it available for those of us without
FTP access?  I am willing to create the ~ftp/vu_stuff directory over
here...

Fred.

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (04/26/91)

In article <9104234039@minixug.mugnet.org> root@minixug.mugnet.org (MINIXUG-ONLINE System Manager) writes:
>Uhh, Andy?  What about me making it available for those of us without
>FTP access?  I am willing to create the ~ftp/vu_stuff directory over
>here...
Ok.  You can copy the simulator over there and make it available to
non FTP customers.

Andy Tanenbaum  (ast@cs.vu.nl)

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (04/28/91)

--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands

root@minixug.mugnet.org (MINIXUG-ONLINE System Manager) (04/28/91)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) wrote:
> In article <9104234039@minixug.mugnet.org> root@minixug.mugnet.org (MINIXUG-ONLINE System Manager) writes:
>>Uhh, Andy?  What about me making it available for those of us without
>>FTP access?  I am willing to create the ~ftp/vu_stuff directory over
>>here...
> Ok.  You can copy the simulator over there and make it available to
> non FTP customers.

OK, I will do so tonight.

Fred.

swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Steve Harrold) (04/29/91)

>>> I have a free (PD, boys!) BIOS for PC's at "minixug".  Since it's
>>> assembler source, it is quite large, but working... :-)
--------
Sounds great!!

Can you post the IP address of minixug.mugnet.org for those of use who
have anonftp capability?

Thanks.

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (05/04/91)

In article <68460003@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com> swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Steve Harrold) writes:
>Can you post the IP address of minixug.mugnet.org for those of use who
>have anonftp capability?

They don't have one.  ftp.cs.vu.nl has the bits in an anonymous ftp directory.

mugnet.org is a MX (internet Mail Exchanger) domain with plains.nodak.edu
acting as their forwarder (for a little while yet).

	"You can't get there from here"
			-- pathalias(1L)

--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (05/20/91)

swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Steve Harrold) wrote:
> --------
> Sounds great!!
>
> Can you post the IP address of minixug.mugnet.org for those of use who
> have anonftp capability?

Everytime something like this comes up, it amazes me to see all those
non-European people thinking that the whole world is Internetworked....

Seriously, guys.  I'd love an InterEUnet connection, but MUGNET cannot
yet afford that- maybe in the future, if all goes well.. :-)

I will fetch the 'MSDOS PDstuff III' tape from my vault tomorrow, and
upload the PD BIOS to plains.NoDak.EDU , directory ftp_contrib.

Fred.
--

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) wrote:
> In article <68460003@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com> swh@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Steve Harrold) writes:
>>Can you post the IP address of minixug.mugnet.org for those of use who
>>have anonftp capability?
>
> They don't have one.  ftp.cs.vu.nl has the bits in an anonymous ftp directory.
>
> mugnet.org is a MX (internet Mail Exchanger) domain with plains.nodak.edu
> acting as their forwarder (for a little while yet).
Exactly.

> 	"You can't get there from here"
> 			-- pathalias(1L)

Nope.  Several people from overseas (I have a line tracer connected
to the modem line, sooo... :-) dialed in to get a look of what this
system is all about.  Looking at their login durations, they found
lots of stuff :-)

About the PD BIOS: see one of my prev msgs...

Fred.