[comp.os.minix] In praise

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (05/05/91)

There was a recent question about upgrading from 1.1->1.5 via the net,
or from a PH upgrade.  I bought the 1.2->1.3 upgrade, since I had little
experience, and then took the net on from there...  the only real change
was the move to a compiler with separate I&D spaces, and I *think* the
first compiler that had this was 1.3, and that was another reason why I
forked out.  Since the compiler is purely copyright, you have to buy it
from PH (or whoever sells the compiler sources).  Presumably if you're
cross-compiling or using Gnu, gnuuu.... problem! (Sorry.  Very sorry.)

Updating from < 1.2 would probably be no fun at all.  I installed 1.2 on
my hard disk using a 1.3 kernel, then recompiled 1.2, then installed the
PH 1.3 update and compiled that.  Bits of 1.2 like ttys and hard drive
support were still fairly flakey.  I bought a machine with a very
standard spec. specifically to run Minix, and 1.2 still wouldn't fire up
out of the box.  Someone else built me a 1.3 kernel, and once  I had the
HD available I learned to rebuild the system without much difficulty.

Updating without 12MB of HD space is not practical.  Better 15-20MB.

I think if I were starting from 1.3, and a position of ignorance, I
would risk upgrading from the net *provided* Minix recognised my HD.
Upgrading from earlier versions, or with floppies only, I'd try to
buy the finished version from PH and then learn how to mess about
with it.

Hope this helps - Will.

PS: Fred - I've had no ack, and I'm out of here until 22 May. Good luck.
"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr

wjb%cogsci.COG.JHU.EDU@vm1.nodak.edu (05/06/91)

Will Rose wrote:
>There was a recent question about upgrading from 1.1->1.5 via the net,
>or from a PH upgrade.  I bought the 1.2->1.3 upgrade, since I had little
>experience, and then took the net on from there...  the only real change
>was the move to a compiler with separate I&D spaces, and I *think* the
>first compiler that had this was 1.3, and that was another reason why I
>forked out.  Since the compiler is purely copyright, you have to buy it
>from PH (or whoever sells the compiler sources).  Presumably if you're
>cross-compiling or using Gnu, gnuuu.... problem! (Sorry.  Very sorry.)

	Actually, the compiler updates have been available in binary form on
the net before.  I just took a look at the archives on plains.nodak.edu and
they appear to still be there although in the "DELETED" part of the Updates
hierarchy.  There were apparently changes at both 1.2 and 1.3 to the
compiler.  (I got started at 1.3 so I never actually experienced this
upgrade.)

				Bill Bogstad

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (05/20/91)

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) wrote:
> PS: Fred - I've had no ack, and I'm out of here until 22 May. Good luck.

Gnaa.. it is now May 21, sooo... :-)
I "think" I am a bit behind in news. :-(

Fred.