[comp.os.minix] ps with Amoeba

kduling@nmsu.edu (Kevin Duling) (05/12/91)

Ok, I'm confused.  After I rebuilt Minix with Amoeba, I copied the new kernel
from /usr/src/amoeba/kernel/ into /usr/src/kernel/...but ps doesn't work.
It worked before I included amoeba...  What's wrong?

ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org (Ralf Wenk) (05/12/91)

In article <1261@opus.NMSU.Edu> kduling@nmsu.edu (Kevin Duling) writes:
> Ok, I'm confused.  After I rebuilt Minix with Amoeba, I copied the new kernel
> from /usr/src/amoeba/kernel/ into /usr/src/kernel/...but ps doesn't work.
> It worked before I included amoeba...  What's wrong?

Ps knows about the layout of some kernel structures. You must recompile
ps if you changed kernel structures. You do not need to copy the Amoeba
kernel into /usr/src/kernel since you could tell ps where it is and save
the necessary data into /etc/psadatbase (ps -U) but you need different
ps for normal and Amoeba kernel.

Ralf Wenk -- ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org

jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de (Joerg Conradt) (05/14/91)

> Ok, I'm confused.  After I rebuilt Minix with Amoeba, I copied the new kernel
> from /usr/src/amoeba/kernel/ into /usr/src/kernel/...but ps doesn't work.
> It worked before I included amoeba...  What's wrong?

maybe you deleted /etc/psdatabase ???
if so - create a new ony using `ps -U' !
hope theis will help!
greeting  Joerg
--
Joerg Conradt   Berlin, Germany  ||   UUCP:  jac@unlisys.in-berlin.de

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (05/20/91)

kduling@nmsu.edu (Kevin Duling) wrote:
> Ok, I'm confused.  After I rebuilt Minix with Amoeba, I copied the new kernel
> from /usr/src/amoeba/kernel/ into /usr/src/kernel/...but ps doesn't work.
> It worked before I included amoeba...  What's wrong?

RTFM.
The ps(1) program is one of those nasty programs that need be recompiled
after a change in the kernel/mm/fs proc table, _or_ after a change in the
number of procs/tasks.  Recompiling a kernel _with_ Amoeba enabled in-
creases the number of tasks with 5, sooo: make f=ps  !!

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands