[comp.os.minix] Init/Getty package on plains

TCBORDP%VCCSCENT.bitnet@vtvm2.cc.vt.edu (Peter W. Borders) (05/10/91)

This is a request directed to Fred van Kempen. I tried direct mail but
I imagine it never got through. Mr. van Kempen, could you please post
the updated programs for Init/Getty/Modem either to the newsgroup or
place them on plains? I am not the only person that has been having some
problems with the getty hanging. It seems to be modem dependent but
it is possible that the latest versions may be more functional. I am
quite happy with the package, except for that one problem. It would also
be nice to have a telinit program, especially when trying to track down
run away getty processes. I have no problem with changing the FS or MM
to support the telinit, if need be. Thank you in advance.
Pete Borders <tcbordp@vccscent> : Bitnet

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (05/20/91)

TCBORDP%VCCSCENT.bitnet@vtvm2.cc.vt.edu (Peter W. Borders) wrote:
> This is a request directed to Fred van Kempen. I tried direct mail but
> I imagine it never got through. Mr. van Kempen, could you please post
> the updated programs for Init/Getty/Modem either to the newsgroup or
> place them on plains? I am not the only person that has been having some
> problems with the getty hanging. It seems to be modem dependent but
> it is possible that the latest versions may be more functional. I am
> quite happy with the package, except for that one problem. It would also
> be nice to have a telinit program, especially when trying to track down
> run away getty processes. I have no problem with changing the FS or MM
> to support the telinit, if need be. Thank you in advance.

Humm.  Apart from long (a week) delays in answering my mail, everything
works fine.  I guess some mailer _before_ the big jump over the pond
ate it...

Anyway, about Getty and INIT..

I can post the current getty (3.18) and gettydefs allright, but
that would not fix everything.  It has been reported that the
MacMINIX/MINIX-ST/AmigaMINIX serial drivers treat line errors
different from the iNTEL versions of MINIX.  Getty relies on
the iNTEL way of treating errors to switch baudrates and such.

The INIT stuff is "a bit" different.  The NLMUG INIT package
relies on several changes in MM and FS about the whereabouts of
the "init" process. NLMUG INIT consists of two programs: the
"sinit" program, which is linked to the OS image ("SINIT"), and
the actual "init" program, which lives in /etc .  The latter is
executed by SINIT at boot time.  Because "init" is no longer at
slot 2, lots of things can go wrong.  The best example is the
allocation/deallocation of control terminals to process group
leaders: only children of "init" (== now slot 3 , not 2 !!) can
become procgrp leader. See the point?

The solution is obvious: go over the MM and FS sources, and check
if they mean "LOW_USER" (== "init") or "SINIT". In the pre-DynaLink
age, I defined the following macros:

#define SINIT		2	/* process where SINIT lives	*/
#define LOW_USER (SINIT + 1)	/* the first user process	*/

With these defines, and a bit of work in MM/FS, you can recompile
the system, and install the new INIT and SINIT.  Link /etc/init to
/etc/telinit, and you have run level support.  I will create a
package of the new stuff, and upload it to Plains tonight.

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands