[comp.os.minix] PUBLIC LETTER: Advanced MINIX and Copyrights

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (05/20/91)

agm@daphne.stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew G. Minter) wrote:
> In article <910415203@bbltv.nl.mugnet.org>, edvard@bbltv.nl.mugnet.org
> (Edvard Tuinder) wrote:
> |> Well, I have justed installed my copy of NLMUG Advanced MINIX 1.5.10D
> |> and it's working great. It really is much better then my old (?) 1.5.10.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can get hold of NLMUG Advanced MINIX over the
> net (or even what it is)?

Due to some trouble with Prentice-Hall Intl, I cannot really explain
what is going on exactly.  However:

1.  NLMUG Advanced MINIX is a collection of all the posted goodies,
    with extensions (yeah- lots of 'em) from people in the NLMUG.

2.  The goal of NLMUG Advanced MINIX was, to create a version of
    MINIX that could actually be _used_.  In Bill Hogsted's recent
    "what are people doing with MINIX?" query, I was able to simply
    answer with "Everything.".  See what I mean?

3.  Because A-M has changes all over the system, we are unable to
    distribute it as cdiff kits.  They would be larger than the
    actual sources, and, apart from that, many people would be unable
    to apply them.  So, we distributed A-M as a complete distribution,
    like the original MINIX.  The difference is a much simpler installa-
    tion procedure (only one system disk, with an automated install
    script).  The system itself was packed into two multivolume `tar'
    archives; one for the runtime, and one for the sources.

4.  Because of (3), we only shipped the stuff to people who could show
    proof of owning a legal copy of MINIX.  I am sorry to say that I
    had to disappoint lots of people because of this- many of us use
    some kind of "third" copy, which is not good enough for NLMUG...

Well now.  People are still sending me tuns of "how can I get it?"
messages.  By now, it shall be clear, that I cannot send ANYTHING to
ANYONE until the mess with Prentice Hall is cleared up.  After that,
it is up to them to decide whether NLMUG Advanced MINIX is going to
die or not.  I hope not, but fear different...

A short note about this "mess": please do not start a flame war over
this.  NLMUG is not the only organization having a fight with Prentice
Hall over the (c) problems with MINIX. However, because I always have
been open and honest about my activities regarding MINIX, they picked
me (i.e. NLMUG) as an example.  Neither Prentice Hall nor NLMUG will
gain anything by starting a public flame war (yet)....

Regards,
	Fred.

PS:	More details can be obtained by direct e-mail to me.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (05/22/91)

In article <9105201062@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org> waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) writes:

>4.  Because of (3), we only shipped the stuff to people who could show
>    proof of owning a legal copy of MINIX.  I am sorry to say that I
>    had to disappoint lots of people because of this- many of us use
>    some kind of "third" copy, which is not good enough for NLMUG...
>
>Well now.  People are still sending me tuns of "how can I get it?"
>messages.  By now, it shall be clear, that I cannot send ANYTHING to
>ANYONE until the mess with Prentice Hall is cleared up.  After that,
>it is up to them to decide whether NLMUG Advanced MINIX is going to
>die or not.  I hope not, but fear different...

Ok, why not take the route taken by Bruce Culbertson for the pc532
port and require that people send you their original boot disk before
you send them NLMUG Advanced MINIX?  You can return the boot disk
with your distribution.  That way, PH is happy- only those who have
bought MINIX gets it and the world is happy since Advanced MINIX gets
distributed.

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139